Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non tachyonic bosonic string

1. Jan 29, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2004 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Magueijo and Smolin
    "String theories with deformed energy momentum relations,
    and a possible non-tachyonic bosonic string"
    ---------quote-----------
    ABSTRACT
    We consider a prescription for introducing deformed dispersion relations in the bosonic string action. We find that in a subset of such theories it remains true that the embedding coordinates propagate linearly on the worldsheet. While both the string modes and the center of mass propagate with deformed dispersion relations, the speed of light remains energy independent. We consider the canonical quantization of these strings, and find that it is possible to choose theories so that ghost modes still decouple, as usual. We also find that there are examples where the tachyon is eliminated from the spectrum of the free bosonic string.
    ----------end quote---------

"While both the string modes and the center of mass propagate with deformed dispersion relations, the speed of light remains energy independent."

sounds like a version of DSR that Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman was talking about. DSR has been applied in Loop gravity. seems reasonable to try it out in String context as well. Wolram thanks for the link, I will have look at the paper and some others will too, I expect.
    Loop people seem to be intruding into the stringy realms and saying "here, allow me to remove your irksome tachyons, let me dispel your ghosts for you..." all rather strange. Thiemann's paper like that, but it didnt seem to make them very happy did it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?