Non-thermal radiation

• Thread starter shirin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, non-thermal radiation sources, such as Synchrotron radiation, are caused by accelerated charged particles emitting electromagnetic radiation and losing energy in the process. It is not predictable what happens to the electrons after radiating in a galaxy, as they may continue to emit radiation until they lose all their energy. Inverse-compton radiation is a type of non-thermal radiation that is included in this process. Further research can be done on the topic for more information.
shirin
Here, I read about non-thermal radiation sources:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/N/Non-thermal+Radiation
1- when an accerelated charged particle emits EM radiation, so it must lose energy. What does happen finally to electrons radiating in synchrotron process and what is the frequency of their radiation?
2- is "inverse-compton radiation" included in this type of radiation?
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi shirin

it would be a really good exercise for you to start learning how to research for information
there is masses of info on the www for Synchrotron radiation

here's one to start you off ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron_radiation

regards
Dave

davenn said:
hi shirin

it would be a really good exercise for you to start learning how to research for information
there is masses of info on the www for Synchrotron radiation

here's one to start you off ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron_radiation

regards
Dave
Thanks for your reply and your concern.
I certaily do research on the www. But sometimes after reading several articles, I don't find the exact answer to my questions like this.That's why I ask them here. For example I read about synchrotron, but it came to my mind if we know what happens to electrons that have synchrotron radiation in a galaxy. Do they radiate until they lose whole their energy or it is not predictable?
In the article that I cited it's mentioned that compton radiation is another kind of non-thermal radiation. But here :
http://www.grandunification.com/hypertext/NonthermalThermalRadiation.html
it says about inverse-compton radiation! Here is my question.
Thanks.

What is non-thermal radiation?

Non-thermal radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that does not come from a source with a high temperature, unlike thermal radiation. It can be produced by a variety of sources, including stars, galaxies, and technological devices.

How is non-thermal radiation different from thermal radiation?

The main difference between non-thermal radiation and thermal radiation is the source of the radiation. Thermal radiation comes from objects with high temperatures, while non-thermal radiation can come from a variety of sources and does not require a high temperature to be produced.

What are some examples of non-thermal radiation?

Some examples of non-thermal radiation include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These types of radiation are often produced by objects in outer space, such as stars and galaxies, and also by technological devices like cell phones and Wi-Fi routers.

Is non-thermal radiation harmful to humans?

Non-thermal radiation can be harmful to humans in high doses, especially when it comes from man-made sources like cell phones and Wi-Fi routers. However, natural sources of non-thermal radiation, such as sunlight, are not harmful to humans in normal amounts.

How is non-thermal radiation used in scientific research?

Non-thermal radiation is used in a variety of scientific research, including astronomy, biology, and medicine. Scientists use different types of non-thermal radiation to study and understand various phenomena, such as the formation and evolution of stars, the effects of radiation on living organisms, and the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.