Non Tie-line paths in Gas Injection (porous media)

In summary, the conversation revolves around plotting non tie-line paths for the solution to a 3 component injection problem with constant K-values. The equations used involve finding C1 and C2 in order to plot the paths on a ternary diagram. However, the plotted lines need to have positive and less than 1 values for C1, C2, and C3, and this is not possible with the current input for Mathematica. The person is seeking insights and a resource for a complete solution to this type of problem.
phil ess

Homework Statement

I am trying to plot the non tie-line paths for the solution to 3 component injection with constant K-values.

Homework Equations

3G8Fl.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to construct the paths on a ternary diagram, I need to find C1 and C2. Then C3 = 1 - C1 - C2, so I can plot the lines. In my attempt, I chose x01 f01 and s01 from a point on my initial tie-line, and then got the following plots for C1(S1) and C2(S1):

1h0aW.jpg

But on the plot, C1 C2 and C3 all need to be positive and < 1 to be inside the composition space, and C2 and C1 are never both positive, so I can't generate the lines. I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Here is the input for Mathematica. Hopefully someone can explain what I am missing.

lriU3.jpg

Thank you for any insights you have to offer!

Also, if anyone knows of a resource that goes through an example of a full solution to this type of problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
x01 = 0.6;f01 = 0.3;s01 = 0.1;K12 = 0.8;K13 = 0.6;K23 = 0.9;C1[S1_] = ((x01 - S1)*(K23 - 1))/(K12*(K13 - 1));C2[S1_] = ((x01 - S1)*(K13 - 1))/(K12*(K23 - 1));C3[S1_] = 1 - C1[S1] - C2[S1];Plot[{C1[S1], C2[S1], C3[S1]}, {S1, 0, 1}]

1. What is the purpose of studying non tie-line paths in gas injection?

The purpose is to understand and optimize the flow of gas through porous media in order to improve the efficiency of gas injection processes, such as enhanced oil recovery or carbon dioxide sequestration.

2. How do non tie-line paths differ from tie-line paths in gas injection?

Non tie-line paths occur when the injected gas does not follow the shortest path between the injection and production wells, while tie-line paths occur when the gas follows the shortest path. Non tie-line paths are often more complex and can lead to inefficiencies in the gas injection process.

3. What factors influence the formation of non tie-line paths?

The formation of non tie-line paths is influenced by the permeability and heterogeneity of the porous media, the injection rate and pressure, and the properties of the injected gas. Additionally, the presence of natural fractures or faults can also contribute to the formation of non tie-line paths.

4. How can non tie-line paths be mitigated or controlled in gas injection processes?

Non tie-line paths can be mitigated by properly designing the injection process, such as selecting the appropriate injection rate and pressure, and considering the heterogeneity of the porous media. Additionally, using advanced simulation techniques and monitoring the injection process can also help to control non tie-line paths.

5. What are the potential benefits of understanding non tie-line paths in gas injection?

Understanding non tie-line paths can lead to improved efficiency and cost-effectiveness of gas injection processes. It can also help to optimize the design and operation of gas injection projects, leading to increased oil recovery or successful carbon dioxide sequestration.