1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non uniform circular motion and friction

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    What are the Forces of a car that is accelerating around a circle? There is friction between the road and the car.

Centripital force(in towards the circle)
    Static Friction(in towards the circle)

However there is also another component of friction that I am missing?
    Any ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the car is going around in a circle, its tires are aimed tangent to the circle, not in or out. Isn't there friction between the tires and the road that is accelerating it?

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    I thought that was the static friction.

5. Oct 31, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Halls didn't claim otherwise. He's telling you that the car is accelerating and suggesting to you what the accelerating force is.

6. Oct 31, 2005 #5
    So There is friction perpendicular to the centripital force and friction parallel to centripital force. How are the 2 related?

7. Oct 31, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Friction provides the centripetal force. Otherwise, the car would travel off in a straight line. Your original question is sufficiently broad that you will have to include the force provided by the engine which acts through torque on the wheels and friction with the road.

Do you have a specific problem in mind?

8. Oct 31, 2005 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the acceleration uniform and are you given some rate of acceleration?

9. Oct 31, 2005 #8
    No information about acceleration is given. Teacher said that when you draw the right FBD it will become very simple

10. Oct 31, 2005 #9
    bump. Any help appreciated. Thanks

11. Oct 31, 2005 #10

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry - just got back. I have to think some more about that. I think something is missing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?