Non uniform circular motion and friction

In summary, the problem involves a car at rest in a circle with radius r, accelerating with a maximum speed of v due to friction. The key is to create a detailed free body diagram and determine the forces acting on the car and the wheel. From there, the coefficient of static friction can be calculated and used to find the maximum linear acceleration of the car. Using the relevant equation of motion, the angle traversed can be determined based on the distance traveled. It is important to note that the maximum speed is reached when there is sufficient friction to take the curve at the given radius.
newcool
A car is at rest in a circle of radius r. The car then accelerates, but friction limits the speed to some max speed v. At what angle is the max speed v reached? (calculus is involved).

The key is to draw a detailed FBD, which I need help with. So far the forces I have are: centripital, component of friction pointing perpendicular to the radius, and another component of friction pointing towards the center of the circle.

Also, how to relate the angle to the FBD?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't use calc for this, so I may be wrong...have you posted the question EXACTLY as it appears in your hw/text ?

Can you find the coefficient of static friction from the FBD ? (Hint : The centripetal force provides the centripetal acceleration.)

Next draw the FBD for a wheel of the car. What are the forces acting on it ? Can you thus calculate the maximum linear acceleration of the car ? Now use the relevant equation of motion to find the distance traveled. From this, you should be able to get the angle traversed.

I think you can't use V^2 = 2ax because the linear acceleration is not constant. It starts at p and then goes down to 0.

thanks

I believe it goes down to zero only after the car has reached a velocity v. I assumed that the maximum speed was set by that velocity at which there was sufficient friction to be able to take the curve at the given radius...and that further acceleration is prevented only by the driver not wanting to skid off the road.

bump bump bump

1. What is non uniform circular motion?

Non uniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is not traveling at a constant speed, but is instead accelerating or decelerating while moving in a circular path.

2. How is friction related to non uniform circular motion?

Friction plays a significant role in non uniform circular motion as it is the force that opposes the motion of the object. In a circular path, the direction of the frictional force is always towards the center, which causes the object to continuously change its speed and direction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of friction in non uniform circular motion?

The magnitude of friction in non uniform circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the roughness of the surface. As the speed and mass of the object increase, the frictional force also increases. A rougher surface will also result in a higher frictional force.

4. How does centripetal force play a role in non uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In non uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is not constant, as the speed and direction of the object are constantly changing. This force is provided by the net force acting towards the center of the circular path.

5. Can an object in non uniform circular motion ever reach a state of equilibrium?

No, an object in non uniform circular motion cannot reach a state of equilibrium as long as it continues to move in a circular path. This is because there will always be a net force acting towards the center, causing the object to accelerate and change its direction.