What is the tension in a string for an object in non-uniform circular motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension in a string that is being used to swing a 0.400 kg object in a vertical circular motion. The speed of the object at the top of the circle is given, and there is a disagreement about the tension value. The correct method of calculating tension is discussed, with two options presented - one using two forces and one using the acceleration of the frame of reference. Ultimately, the issue is resolved and the tension value is determined.
svtec
non uniform circular motion?

A .400 kg object is swung in a vertical circular path on a string 0.500m long. If it's speed is 4.00 m/s at the top of the circle, what is the tension in the string there?

i drew my free body diagram and have tension pointing up in the positive y direction. the force due to gravity pointing down and the centripitial acceleration pointing down as well. i end up getting something like 8.88 N and the back of the book is showing 13.2 N. Can anyone point out where i went wrong?

TIA...

-andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension points DOWNWARDS, not upwards. Then, if you treat gravity as a force, mg, you have two forces acting in the same direction and a resultant acceleration in that direction (this being the centripetal acceleration). T + W supplies ac.

Alternatively, you can add gravity to the acceleration (vector wise, in this case, it would be a subtraction), in otherwords:
atotal = -eyac + eyg. Then you only have one force, the tension, and this is equal to the mass times the total acceleration:
T = matotal

Last edited:
i'll give that a try and see if that works. basically i have all three of my forces pointing down. correct?

Originally posted by svtec
basically i have all three of my forces pointing down. correct?
I think you only have 2 forces. Let me clarify.

(option 1 - standard)
You can deal with 2 forces and 1 resultant acceleration. The forces will be tension and weight. The resultant acceleration will be centripetal. Both of these 2 forces are pointing downwards, yes. Actually, though, this brings up another issue. Let me just tell you that the very first thing I calculated was the centripetal acceleration. Then, it was a quick comparison with the gravitational acceleration that lead me to the conclusion that tension must be downwards. This is why I prefer option 2, because this issue is more direct.

(option 2 - thanks to EP, and my preference)
You can deal with the surface of the Earth as an accelerating frame, in which case you would have to account for that acceleration in your free body diagram. Then, there would only be 1 force, the tension, and 1 resultant acceleration which is the sum of the centripetal and the frame acceleration. The frame acceleration is upwards (i.e. directly away from the surface of the earth).

If you are having trouble with free body diagrams and such, then choose option 1. If you are comfortable with free body diagrams, and with applying all three of Newton's laws, then you might think about trying option 2.

Last edited:
i'm sorry.

i meant that i have mg and tension pointing down.

the centripital acceleration is pointing toward the middle of the circle which is not a force. i had a memory lapse.

i got it all figured out now. thanks for the help.

-andrew

What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path, but its speed is not constant. This means that the object's velocity is changing, either in magnitude or direction, as it moves along the circular path.

What causes non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is typically caused by an unbalanced force acting on the object. This force can be due to various factors, such as friction, gravity, or air resistance, and it causes the object to deviate from a uniform circular motion.

How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant while its direction changes. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed is not constant, and the object's velocity is changing. Additionally, the acceleration in non-uniform circular motion is not always perpendicular to the velocity, unlike in uniform circular motion.

What is centripetal force in non-uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is not constant, as the velocity is changing. This force is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity.

How is angular velocity related to non-uniform circular motion?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. In non-uniform circular motion, the angular velocity is not constant, as the object's speed is changing. The direction of the angular velocity is always perpendicular to the plane of motion, and its magnitude is equal to the object's speed divided by the radius of the circular path.