1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Uniform Circular Motion

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    A car starts from rest on a curve with a radius of 120m and accelerates at 1.0m/s^2. Through what angle will the car have traveled when the magnitude of its total acceleration is 2.0m/s^2.

This one, I am really lost on how to approach it. I have tangential acceleration at 1.0m/s^2 initially and total final acceleration at 2.0m/s^2. Unless I am interpreting this question incorrectly.

Also another question, does a=r(w^2) only apply to uniform-circular motion or to both uniform and non-uniform?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Total acceleration is the vector sum of the tangential acceleration plus the centripetal acceleration. Centripetal acceleration exists for both uniform and non uniform circular motion; it is just that it is constant for the uniform case and non constant for the latter.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    Yes, but wouldn't tangential acceleration in this question be changing as a function of time? If tangential acceleration were constant, then this is a uniform circular motion.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's not correct. Uniform circular motion implies constant tangential speed, not constant tangential acceleration. Constant tangential acceleration implies a change in tangential speed; hence, motion is non-uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?