1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Uniform Circular Motion

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    I know this problem looks easy but my physics mind is out of shape.

Problem

Imagine that you have a car traveling along a circular, horizontal track or radius [itex]r[/itex], with tangential acceleration [itex]a_{lin}[/itex]. If the car begins moving around the track with velocity 0 m/s:

1. What is the tangential speed of the car after one lap?

2. What is the acceleration of the car after it completes one lap?

3. What is the [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] of the answer in 2?

Attempt at a Solution

In order to calculate the tangential speed of the car after one lap, [itex]v_{lap}[/itex], I first calculate the time it would take for it to complete a lap. The distance around the track is [itex]2\pi r[/itex], and using a kinematics equation:

[tex]2\pi r=\frac{1}{2}a_{lin}t^2[/tex]

[tex]t=2\sqrt{\frac{\pi r}{a_{lin}}}[/tex]

[itex]v_{lap}[/itex] is just acceleration by time, therefore:

[tex]v_{lap}=a_{lin}t[/tex]

[tex]v_{lap}=a_{lin}\left(2\sqrt{\frac{\pi r}{a_{lin}}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_{lap}=2\sqrt{\pi a_{lin}r}[/tex]

If I define [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] to be the unit vector pointing directly outwards from the center of the circle, and [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] to be the unit vector pointing in the direction of the car's tangential motion, then the acceleration of the car, [itex]a_{car}[/itex], is:

[tex]a_{car}=-a_{centripetal}\hat{r}+a_{tangential}\hat{v}[/tex]

The centripetal acceleration is proportional to the car's velocity and the radius of the track, while the tangential acceration is just [itex]a_{lin}[/itex], therefore:

[tex]a_{car}=-\frac{v_{lap}^2}{r}\hat{r}+a_{lin}\hat{v}[/tex]

[tex]a_{car}=-\frac{\left(2\sqrt{\pi a_{lin}r}\right)^2}{r}\hat{r}+a_{lin}\hat{v}[/tex]

[tex]a_{car}=-4\pi a_{lin}\hat{r}+a_{lin}\hat{v}[/tex]

Uh-oh

What's Wrong?

I don't see any problem with the way I derived the velocity of the car after one lap. I think how I did the car's acceleration is okay, but what I don't understand is that it is not based on the radius of the track (does this seem weird to anyone else?) and I can't figure out how to interpret the limit required in part 3.

What I would think is that as [itex]r[/itex] approaches [itex]\infty[/itex] the car will have an infinite speed by the time it completes a lap, and therefore have an infinite centripetal acceleration. Or would the car not be able to complete a lap? Or would the centripetal acceleration be 0 as a circle of infinite radius becomes a line? I really don't know what to think, please help me interpret this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2
    By the way I apologize for not placing this in the homework forum. If it's crowding then please redirect it there : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?