1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-uniform circular motion

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bob and Villie are able to tolerate acceleration of 0.2g, the driver wants to accelerate from 250km/h to 300 km/h on a curved piece of track, the radius of curvature is 5km, what is the minimum time the driver can use to change speed?

2. Relevant equations
    total acceleration = tangential acceleration + radial acceleration
    speed = initial speed + tangential acceleration x time

3. The attempt at a solution

given that total acceleration must not exceed 0.2g, radial acceleration increases as tangential acceleration decreases. So what i did was integrate tangential acceleration over a time period from x to y which should equal to the change in speed.

Integration (x to y) tangential acceleration dt = 13.89 m/s

i was hoping to eventually end up with an equation that goes m(x-y) = 13.89 and then solve for x-y but when i plug in the above equations in b for tangential acceleration, I get this extremely complicated and unsolvable quadratic formula if i attempt to express the equations in terms of t.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show us what you got? Then we can comment on whether you're on the right track.
  4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    how do ya say that?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?