How do I find the tangential acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tangential acceleration in non-uniform circular motion. The magnitude of tangential acceleration can be calculated using the derivative of speed, while the magnitude of radial acceleration can be calculated using the equation a_r = v^2/r. An example problem is provided and the conversation also mentions that the tangential acceleration is zero in uniform circular motion.
mad
Hello all,

I need help to understand non-uniform circular motion. I know there's a centripetal acceleration and a tangential acceleration and the result of both are the acceleration. But what I don't understand is how can I find the tangential acceleration. I've been searching for a while now and some sites says with the slope of the acceleration (how can I find this if I don't know the total acceleration) and some says dv/dt. Please someone enlighten me on this with explanations and perhaps an example because I have an exam in 3 days and I must master this.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
In a circular motion, the tangential acceleration is given as the derivative of the SPEED.

The magnitude of the tangential acceleration can be computed using: [itex]a_t = dv/dt[/itex], where v is the speed ([itex]v = \omega r[/itex]).

The magnitude of the radial acceleration is [itex]a_r = v^2/r[/itex].

Try posting a specific problem and your solution if you need more help.

Thanks for the fast responses guys! Thats what I don't understand. If they say the car has a speed of say 20m/s, the diameter is 10 (r=5) then centripetal acceleration is v^2/r. -- that okay

But the derivate of speed .. would that be 0? (derivate of 20) Or do I need to put it in a formula.. like v^2=Vo^2 + 2ax(x-xo) .. that's what I need help with.
Thanks!

You need to know how the speed changes with time in order to calculate the tangential acceleration

mad said:
But the derivate of speed .. would that be 0? (derivate of 20) Or do I need to put it in a formula.. like v^2=Vo^2 + 2ax(x-xo) .. that's what I need help with.
Thanks!
You have to be told how the speed is changing. If it's not changing (uniform cirular motion) then the tangential acceleration would be zero. If it's uniformly accelerating, they have to give some info so you can figure it out.

(I'll bet arildno will say the same thing! :smile: )

You betted correctly, Doc Al..:smile:

arildno said:
You betted correctly, Doc Al..:smile:
You're too fast for me, arildno. I'm getting old and slow... :biggrin:

(And congrats on your new medal! :wink: )

Alright, here is a problem I tried to do.. but I really don't know how.

A car approaches a turn with r= 40m. When its velocity is oriented to the north, its velocity changes at a rate of 2m/s^2 and the total acceleration is oriented 30 (degres) north to the west.
What is the speed at that instant?

also, if you guys could give me an example on how to calculate the tangential acceleration in that problem, I would appreciate

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english

mad said:
A car approaches a turn with r= 40m. When its velocity is oriented to the north, its velocity changes at a rate of 2m/s^2 and the total acceleration is oriented 30 (degres) north to the west.
What is the speed at that instant?
I'm going to guess that when they say the "velocity" changes, what they really mean is that the "speed" changes. So they give you the tangential acceleration--it's 2 m/s^2. You have to figure out what the radial acceleration must be to have a net acceleration in the direction indicated. Once you know the radial acceleration, you can figure out the speed.

I made an illustration. I don't understand how the total acceleration can be like that. Please check the attachment

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 400
When your attachment gets approved, I'll take a look. But I don't see the problem: I assume the car travels north and is turning west. The tangential acceleration points north and the radial acceleration points west. The total acceleration is the vector sum of those components.

What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is constantly changing its velocity, either by speeding up or slowing down, as it moves along the circular path.

How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along the circular path, meaning its velocity remains the same. In non-uniform circular motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing, which also affects its acceleration.

What causes an object to undergo non-uniform circular motion?

An object can undergo non-uniform circular motion if there is a force acting on it that is not directed towards the center of the circular path. This force, known as the tangential force, causes the object to accelerate and change its velocity, resulting in non-uniform circular motion.

How is the acceleration calculated in non-uniform circular motion?

The acceleration in non-uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the tangential acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula takes into account the changing velocity and direction of the object as it moves along the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion can be observed in many real-life situations, such as a car turning a corner, a rollercoaster ride, or a spinning top. In each of these cases, the object is moving along a circular path at varying speeds, resulting in non-uniform circular motion.