Calculating Capacitance for Non-Uniform Dielectric: Finding the Right Formula

• Thread starter godtripp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectric
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a capacitor with area "A" and separation "d" is placed between two plates with a non-uniform dielectric. The dielectric has a function of ε = ε0 + αx, where x is the distance from the left plate. The individual capacitance can be found by taking an infinite sum of infinitesimal capacitors in series. There is confusion on how to properly build the formula, with suggestions such as C = (εave * A)/d and 1/Ceq = ∫ (dx/εA). The correct formula is determined to be 1/Ceq = ∫ (dx/εA) by integrating 1/C.
godtripp
This isn't a homework problem, just something to explore my understanding so correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.

I have given myself the situation where I have a capacitor of area "A" and separation "d"

Between them is a non-uniform but continuous dielectric, so that the dielectric on the right plate is significantly more dense than that of the left.

I have also given the dielectric the function: [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_{0}+\alpha x[/tex]
where x is the distance from the left plate.

Now I can find my answer by taking an infinite sum of infinitesimal capacitors in series.

I'm just confused now on how to properly build the formula. Should I take the derivative of
my capacitance formula with respect to d, plug in for epsilon as a function of distance and integrate? Or how?

I've listed a few of my ideas on formulas below. If anyone can point out the right one and why.

[tex] C = \frac{\epsilon_{ave} A}{d} [/tex]
Where
[tex]\epsilon_{ave}=\frac{1}{d}\int \epsilon_{0}+\alpha x dx[/tex]

[tex] C_{eq} = \int \frac{-(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A dx}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \int \frac{dx}{(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \int \frac{x dx}{(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi godtripp! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε and an alpha: α and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

You have to integrate 1/C to get 1/Ceq.

For a slice of thickness dx, d(1/C) = dx/εA,

and so 1/Ceq = ∫ d(1/C) = ∫ dx/εA :smile:

(and, just to check … when ε is constant, that's x/εA ! :wink:)

Thank you tim!

1. What is a non-uniform dielectric?

A non-uniform dielectric is a material that has varying levels of dielectric constant or permittivity across its surface or volume. This means that the material has different levels of ability to store electric charge in different regions, leading to variations in the electric field.

2. How does a non-uniform dielectric affect electric fields?

A non-uniform dielectric can cause distortions in electric fields, leading to changes in the path and strength of the electric field. This can have an impact on the behavior of electrical components and circuits.

3. What are some examples of non-uniform dielectrics?

Some examples of non-uniform dielectrics include composite materials, layered structures, and materials with rough or irregular surfaces. Inhomogeneous materials, such as mixtures or solutions, can also exhibit non-uniform dielectric properties.

4. How is the dielectric constant affected by non-uniformity?

The dielectric constant of a material is a measure of its ability to store electric charge. In a non-uniform dielectric, the dielectric constant can vary depending on the region, leading to variations in the amount of charge that can be stored. This can have an impact on the overall electric field and the behavior of electrical components.

5. What are some applications of non-uniform dielectrics?

Non-uniform dielectrics are commonly used in capacitors, as they can increase the capacitance of the device. They are also important in the design of antennas, where the dielectric constant of the surrounding material can affect the performance of the antenna. Other applications include in sensors, actuators, and energy storage devices.