Non Uniform Magnetostatic fields

In summary, we are asked to describe the motion of an electron under the influence of a constant electric field in the x direction and a space-varying magnetic field. By using the equation of motion, we can see that the particle will have a uniform acceleration along the x direction and a circular motion with x and y components. The force term due to the gradient-curvature drift of the particle is also present. Further analysis is needed to fully understand the motion, but for the purposes of this question, this semi-quantitative description is sufficient.
Fernando Mourao

Homework Statement

Describe semiquantitatively the motion of an electron under the presence
of a constant electric field in the x direction,
E =E0x^
and a space varying magnetic field given by
B = B0 a(x + z)x^ + B0 [1 + a(x - z)]z^
where Eo, Bo, and a are positive constants, lαxl « 1 and lαzl « 1.
Assume that initially the electron moves with constant velocity in the
z direction, v(t = 0) = v0z^. Verify if t his magnetic field satisfies the
Maxwell equation ∇ x B = 0

Homework Equations

[/B]
Equation of motion:
m dv/dt = q[E + v × B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've proven that the B field satisfies the Maxwell equation.

and considering B(0,0,0) = B0 z^
I got the B field as a first order approximation about the origin as
B(r) = B0z^ + (B0αx + B0αz)x^ + (B0αx - B0αz )z^

So from the equation of motion I get:
m dv/dt = q[E + v × B] = q[E + v × B0 + v×[r⋅∇B]]

The first two terms on the right hand side show that the particle would have a uniform acceleration along the x direction and a circular motion (varying with the instantaneous velocity) with x and y components; the last term is a force term and results in a combined gradient-curvature drift of the particle.

I feel like I'm missing something regarding the divergent term of ∇B. How far should i go with the resolution of the equation of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are only asked for "describe semi-quantitatively" - so that is as far as you go.
You have not been asked for the motion close to the origin, or even for a short time ... so you will need to justify the approximation(s?) you used.
OTOH: the description says to assume an initial constant velocity ... which is not possible without some other applied forces, so it is not clear how the velocity at t<0 is important... this also makes it a bit tricky to assess what the question is asking for. You'll have to use the context of the recent coursework to guide you.
I would have interpreted it a bit like being asked to sketch a function ... I'd look for turning points, inflexions, and asymptotes, and an indication of the kind of curve between ... or their motion analogues.

I'm not sure any part of the motion is best described as "circular" ... but I suspect you should try to be more specific about the directions of deflections from the initial direction of travel. Once deflected, check if the direction of the force changes.

Note: best practise to use LaTeX markup in PF... so you have:
##\vec B = aB_0(x+z)\hat x + bB_0(x-z)\hat y## and ##\vec E = E_0\hat x##
##m \ddot{\vec r} = q\vec E+ q\dot{\vec r} \times \vec B : \vec r = x(t)\hat x + y(t)\hat y + z(t)\hat z##

Likes Fernando Mourao

1. What is a non-uniform magnetostatic field?

A non-uniform magnetostatic field is a type of magnetic field that does not have a constant strength or direction at all points. This means that the strength and direction of the magnetic field vary across different locations, and can be different at different points within the field itself.

2. How is a non-uniform magnetostatic field different from a uniform magnetostatic field?

A uniform magnetostatic field has a constant strength and direction at all points, whereas a non-uniform magnetostatic field does not. In a uniform field, the magnetic field lines are parallel and evenly spaced, while in a non-uniform field, the field lines are closer together in areas of higher intensity and farther apart in areas of lower intensity.

3. What causes a non-uniform magnetostatic field?

A non-uniform magnetostatic field can be caused by the presence of magnetic materials, such as magnets or electric currents. These materials can create regions of higher and lower magnetic field intensity, leading to a non-uniform field.

4. How is a non-uniform magnetostatic field measured?

The strength and direction of a non-uniform magnetostatic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the magnetic field and can provide information about its strength and direction at different points within the field.

5. What are the applications of non-uniform magnetostatic fields?

Non-uniform magnetostatic fields have various applications in industries such as telecommunications, energy, and medical technology. They are used in devices like magnetic sensors, magnetic storage devices, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Understanding and controlling non-uniform magnetostatic fields is crucial for the design and operation of these technologies.