1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non Zero velocity

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1

Maroc

Gold Member

Not a homework question - Just wondering.

What is the real meaning of non-zero velocity compared to non-zero acceleration like i don't really understand the difference. Anyone care to explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

non-zero *anything* just means that *anything* is not 0. Is there something more you're asking about?

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Imagine you are on a train. If it is sitting at the station, not moving, that would be a zero velocity AND zero acceleration. The instant it takes off from the station, it will have a zero-VELOCITY, but a non-zero Acceleration. As it continues to accelerate it will have a non-zero velocity AND a non-zero acceleration. Once it reaches it's cruising speed, if there is nothing effecting the train, it will have a non-zero velocity but a ZERO ACCELERATION.

Let me know if this helps.

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

Maroc

Gold Member

That is perfect guys. I was over thinking the concept.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook