Calculate Nonconservative Work on 75kg Surfer: 0.951375 kJ

• Thread starter marcia888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: PE after - PE before) is equal to the work done by nonconservative forces.So if you show what you got for each of those, the net work done by nonconservative forces should be the sum of the two (the change in KE and the change in PE).In summary, the net work done by nonconservative forces on the 75 kg surfer starting with a speed of 1.3 m/s, dropping through a height of 2.05 m, and ending with a speed of 8.2 m/s is approximately 10 kJ. This is calculated by taking the change in kinetic energy and potential energy and adding them together. The correct formula for this calculation is change in
marcia888
7. [Walker2 8.P.026.] Catching a wave, a 75 kg surfer starts with a speed of 1.3 m/s, drops through a height of 2.05 m, and ends with a speed of 8.2 m/s. How much nonconservative work was done on the surfer?

I used delta K + delta U is nonconservative force.

They want kJ instead of J. :yuck:
I got -0.951375 kJ

but it tells me I'm wrong. I only have one more try. Could it be this number but positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
marcia888 said:
7. [Walker2 8.P.026.] Catching a wave, a 75 kg surfer starts with a speed of 1.3 m/s, drops through a height of 2.05 m, and ends with a speed of 8.2 m/s. How much nonconservative work was done on the surfer?

I got -0.951375 kJ

but it tells me I'm wrong. I only have one more try. Could it be this number but positive?

you may have made a mistake with the sign of "2.05m."

the change in potential energy is

mg h_final - mg h_initial

or, factoring...

mg (h_fin - h_in)

now, the surfer DROPS that given height. so his final position is LOWER than his initial position!

taking h_fin to be where h=0, you get...

delta PE = m*g*(-2.05m)

and, of course, that 8m/s speed is the final velocity, while the 1m/s speed is the initial.

this should give you the right answer. :wink:

an intuitive way to get the sign correct is to think whether the external work added or took away from the systems energy. one way to determine this is to compare this situation to one where there is no external work.

(of course, this requires you to choose which new parameter you need to solve for. for instance, if you decide to keep the values given for inital velocity and height, the value of the final velocity will tell you whether the energy was diminished or increased. if the final velocity was lower without the external work, then the external work increased the energy and should be positive, etc.)

Since the speed of the surfer is greater after the reaction, it is clear that his energy has increased. Some of the increase is due to gravity and some is due to the waves. It's certainly possible that the waves actually did negative work on him, they could have slowed him down a little bit during the reaction. So the answer is not neccesarily positive. But it turns out that the waves did actually do positive work.

m = mass
[tex]v_{1}[/tex] = initial speed
[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = final speed
h = height
g = acceleration due to gravity

The conservative work done is the gravitational work done, all other work is nonconservative, so:

Total Work Done - Gravitational Work Done = Nonconservative Work Done

To find the Total Work Done, you take the difference of the kinetic energies before and after.

Total Work Done:
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}mv_{2}^{2} - \frac{1}{2}mv_{1}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}m(v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2})[/tex]

Now from the Total Work Done, you subtract the Gravitational Work Done, which is equal to the Gravitational Potential Energy an object has when it is 2.05m off the ground.

Gravitational Potential Energy for 2.05m = Gravitational Work Done = Conservative Work Done = mgh

Total Work Done - Conservative Work Done = Total Nonconservative Work Done

[tex] = \frac{1}{2}m(v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2}) - mgh[/tex]
[tex] = m(\frac{v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2}}{2} - gh)[/tex]

I get a positive value > 10kJ

That help at all?

Last edited:
subodei said:
Since the speed of the surfer is greater after the reaction, it is clear that his energy has increased. Some of the increase is due to gravity and some is due to the waves. It's certainly possible that the waves actually did negative work on him, they could have slowed him down a little bit during the reaction. So the answer is not neccesarily positive. But it turns out that the waves did actually do positive work.

m = mass
[tex]v_{1}[/tex] = initial speed
[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = final speed
h = height
g = acceleration due to gravity

The conservative work done is the gravitational work done, all other work is nonconservative, so:

Total Work Done - Gravitational Work Done = Nonconservative Work Done

To find the Total Work Done, you take the difference of the kinetic energies before and after.

Total Work Done:
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}mv_{2}^{2} - \frac{1}{2}mv_{1}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}m(v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2})[/tex]

Now from the Total Work Done, you subtract the Gravitational Work Done, which is equal to the Gravitational Potential Energy an object has when it is 2.05m off the ground.

Gravitational Potential Energy for 2.05m = Gravitational Work Done = Conservative Work Done = mgh

Total Work Done - Conservative Work Done = Total Nonconservative Work Done

[tex] = \frac{1}{2}m(v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2}) - mgh[/tex]
[tex] = m(\frac{v_{2}^{2} - v_{1}^{2}}{2} - gh)[/tex]

I get a positive value > 10kJ

That help at all?

the answer is positive, but it was the positive of the answer he had given!

the correct formula is, as he listed:

change in Kinetic Energy + change in Potential Energy = external (or nonconservative) Work

the textbook he probably uses is by serway and faughn, college physics; that's the precise equation they have in there for this!

marcia888 said:
That should give you the net work done on the surfer by nonconservative forces. Show what you got for [itex]\Delta K[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U[/itex]. (The change in K is positive, but the change in U is negative.)
I got -0.951375 kJ

Actually, yes. But how did you get a negative sign? (Remember that [itex]\Delta X = X_{final} - X_{initial}[/itex].)

Brad Barker said:
the answer is positive, but it was the positive of the answer he had given!

the correct formula is, as he listed:

change in Kinetic Energy + change in Potential Energy = external (or nonconservative) Work

the textbook he probably uses is by serway and faughn, college physics; that's the precise equation they have in there for this!

The formula I used is the same thing.

Change in kinetic energy (KE after - KE before) plus the change in potential energy (-mgh)

I got 950kJ however, not .950 kJ

Can you see where I made an error?

(Btw on a different note, don't you think it's a little stupid to have a formula which really just says "Any change in energy from outside of the system is nonconservative"? Seems to me there is a better way to express it then have students memorize that [tex]\Delta{K} + \Delta{U}[/tex] = Nonconservative work.)

Last edited:
subodei said:
The formula I used is the same thing.

Change in kinetic energy (KE after - KE before) plus the change in potential energy (-mgh)

I got 950kJ however, not .950 kJ

Can you see where I made an error?
Your formula is OK. Check your arithmetic.

Yeah I actually got 950 J, but in my sleepless state I decided that [tex]kg \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}}[/tex] was kJ when it is, of course, just J

Is it possible to define a conservative system as one whose potential energy is a function of only position coordinates (q), and a nonconservative system as one whose potential energy is a function of position coordinates (q) and time (t), that is,

V=V(q) for conservative & V=V(q,t) for nonconservative ?

What is nonconservative work?

Nonconservative work is the work done on an object by a force that is not conservative. This means that the work done is dependent on the path taken by the object, rather than just the starting and ending points.

How is nonconservative work calculated?

Nonconservative work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The unit for nonconservative work is joules (J).

What is the equation for calculating nonconservative work?

The equation for calculating nonconservative work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work, F is the force, d is the distance, and theta is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

What is the unit for nonconservative work?

The unit for nonconservative work is joules (J).

What does the given value of 0.951375 kJ represent?

The given value of 0.951375 kJ represents the amount of nonconservative work done on a 75kg surfer. This means that the surfer experienced a force of 0.951375 kJ while moving a distance in the direction of the force.