Nonequilibrium Applications of Newton's 2nd Law Problem

In summary, the acceleration that produces the 15 degree deflection of a mass from the vertical is 2.54 m/s^2.
noboost4you
I along with a buddy of mine in the same course have been trying to figure out the following question. We spent at least an hour and a half to two hours and nothing makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the question as it's written:

One way to measure the acceleration of your car is to see how far a pendulum swings from the vertical. That is why so many highly intelligent drivers have objects hanging from their rear-view mirrors. You notice that when you accelerate, the fuzzy dice (0.25 kg) you have hanging swings 15 degrees from the vertical. Find the acceleration that produces this amount of deflection.

We began by drawing a picture of a 15 degree angle with a mass at the end of the hypothesis. We've never seen a problem like this in our class before.

If it has acceleration, it is not in equilibrium. So we looked through the whole chapter and this is what we discovered; "If an object is not in equilibrium, then Newton's second law must be used to account for acceleration." And they give us these two equations: (SUM)Fx=m(ax) and (SUM)Fy=m(ay).

We've done problems similar to this finding forces using the x- and y-components, but we're drawing a blank here.

Any help is great appreciated. TIA, Bryan

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have to think in terms of angular acceleration, because the fluffy dice are not moving in a linear fashion :P

The thing is, this problem comes from a chapter that does not discuss angular acceleration. Angular acceleration is discussed 3 or 4 chapters after this one. :(

It is in equilibrium at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the vertical, which means the net forces in X and Y are zero. You'll wantto list these forces (tension, acceleration of car, and acceleration of gravity) and solve the system of equations for the tension to find the acceleration of the car.

Remember Net F = 0.

whozum said:
It is in equilibrium at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the vertical, which means the net forces in X and Y are zero. You'll wantto list these forces (tension, acceleration of car, and acceleration of gravity) and solve the system of equations for the tension to find the acceleration of the car.
Remember Net F = 0.

I've solved questions like this when I needed to find tensions in TWO strings when a weight is hanging from them at an equilibrium.

With two strings; therefore, two tensions, it was easy to find.

(SUM)Fx = 0 --> F2x + (-F1x) = 0 --> F2x = F1x
and
(SUM)Fy = 0 --> F1y + F2y = w

then solved for F2 and then found F1.

But I don't know how I can do an equilibrium problem (if this truly is one) with using only one set of x- and y-components.

Forces in the X direction,

Car accelerative force + Tension in the string in the x direction (at 15 deg)

Y direction,

Gravity force + Tension in the string in the y direction (15 deg)

Express them in terms of m,g and theta and then solve the system to find T, the tension.

Here is what we came up with. I still think we are far off base:

After drawing the vector and free-body diagram which included W, Wperp, Wparallel, FN, Angle, and Acceleration, we came up with these equations.

The problem doesn't say anything about air resistance, so we neglected it.

Fnet = Wparallel - friction
Fnet = ma
FN = Wperpendicular

sin(15) = Wparallel/W --> Wparallel = Wsin(15)
cos(15) = Wperpendicular/W --> Wperpendicular = Wcos(15)

Fnet = Wparallel - friction (friction = 0)
ma = Wsin(15) - 0
ma = mgsin(15)
a = gsin(15)
a = (9.8m/s^2)sin(15)
a = 2.54 m/s^2

That cannot be right. We were given mass, and it eventually canceled out.

We're completely stumped

Thanks for all the help so far.

It's not right, but not because the mass cancels.

Do this:
(1) Identify the forces acting on the dice. (I see two forces.)
(2) Find the vertical and horizontal components
(3) Apply Newton's 2nd law to the horizontal and vertical components. (Hint: The only acceleration is horizontal.)​
Step 3 will give you two equations. Solve them to find the acceleration.

I found this site through Google, and it's pretty much identical to my problem, or is it not?

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~probs/mech/newt/2ndNewton4/node2.html

Thanks Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a bunch of those problems in this forum. I helped with one or two in the past two weeks if you want to search..

noboost4you said:
I found this site through Google, and it's pretty much identical to my problem, or is it not?
Sure, it's the same problem. But I suggest you force yourself to try and solve these kind of problems on your own before looking at someone else's solution. (It may not seem like it, but it's a bad habit. It's very easy to deceive yourself into thinking you can solve a problem while reading the solution. And then the test comes, or a problem you haven't seen before, and... oops... you've got nothing.) The hints given in this thread should be more than enough for you to solve this problem.

Yea, I completely understand and when the test does come, I'll be prepared. I'm the kind of person who likes to work backwards with problems. If I know the solution then it will register with me on how that solution came about. Hard to understand I suppose.

But I appreciate all the help

What is Newton's 2nd Law and how is it used in nonequilibrium applications?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Force and Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In nonequilibrium applications, this law is used to analyze the motion of objects when external forces are applied, such as in collisions or when objects are accelerating.

How does Newton's 2nd Law differ from Newton's 1st Law?

Newton's 1st Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law only applies to objects in equilibrium, while Newton's 2nd Law applies to objects in motion and non-equilibrium situations.

What are some real-world examples of nonequilibrium applications of Newton's 2nd Law?

Some examples include car accidents, where the forces acting on the car and its passengers are analyzed, or rocket launches, where the thrust and mass of the rocket are taken into account to determine its acceleration.

Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to rotational motion?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In rotational motion, the law is modified to include the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration of the object.

What are the limitations of using Newton's 2nd Law in nonequilibrium applications?

One limitation is that it assumes that the object being analyzed is a point mass, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance or the elasticity of objects, which may affect the motion of an object. These limitations may require the use of more complex equations or models to accurately analyze the situation.