1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonequilibrium Applications of Newton's Laws of Motion

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    A 292 kg motor cycle is accelerating up along a ramp that is inclined 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. The propulsion force pushing the motorcycle up the ramp is 3150 N, and air resistance produces a force of 250 N that opposes the motion. Find the magnitude of the motorcycle's acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Now that you've stated the problem, show your solution. (Find the net force up the ramp; then apply Newton's 2nd law.)

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    I know this is stupid but can you tell me what it means to find the net force going up the ramp.

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Identify all the forces that act on the motorcycle. The sum of those forces is the net force. To find the net force going up the ramp, find the component of each force parallel to the ramp and add them up.

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5
    Well I'm yet again doing something wrong so before I go any furthur, are the forces acting on the bike the 3150 N and W=2861.1. Shouldn't there be a force opposing weight which is the force from the road? But I dont know how to figure that.

7. Sep 27, 2005 #6
    Oh...and how do I know when friction plays a part in the problem.

8. Sep 27, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Just stick to the forces given. FYI: It's friction that propels the motorcycle forward. (The engine turns the wheels, which push against the surface of the ramp.)

Describe all the forces that act on the motorcycle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?