1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonformal logic

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    Using the formal logical structure of the original theorem, the converse, the curious inverse, and the all important contrapositive, mathematics is at a standstill. I am trying to get to this very particular coordinate without using formal logic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

What? :confused:

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Anachronistic, I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you clarify??

5. Jan 7, 2012 #4
    It has to do with using non traditional dimensions to get to a point

6. Jan 7, 2012 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might want to read our rules before you get to your point.

7. Jan 7, 2012 #6
    Informal reasoning is great, but in order to finish the process, in math, you do have to prove it using logic. Or at least convince yourself that all the details could be done if you wanted, in some cases.

8. Jan 7, 2012 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The problem with the structure of original theorem logic is that it negates the curious theorem in order to get to inverse points in your coordinate logic. This is only valid in informal mathematics logic.

I like words too.

9. Jan 7, 2012 #8
    I don't understand the OP's question.

10. Jan 9, 2012 #9

Deveno

Science Advisor

would then, conversely, the negation of the coordinates validate the curious theorem, providing rigor to the original theorem structure? it seems to me you could sketch an informal argument, but advanced rendering might exceed current pixel capacity.

11. Jan 9, 2012 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not at all!! The curious theorem is a formalization of contrapositive statements pertaining to the formal structure of possibilities!! You can't negate coordinates without forming some kind of invalidating logic of the space-time tensor itself!!

12. Jan 9, 2012 #11
    Here is a simple example.

If x = 3, then x + 2 = 5 is a must be true statement.

The converse is a could be statement due to several different ways to get to the number 5 using 2 and 5 in the same dimensions.

Would anybody like to elaborate the different pathways to make the converse statement true?

13. Jan 9, 2012 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If x+2=5, then x+2+(-2)=5+(-2). So x=3.

14. Jan 9, 2012 #13
    I like using imaginary dimensions of the non real numbers to get to my solutions

15. Jan 10, 2012 #14

Char. Limit

Gold Member

More fun to use infinite-dimensional numbers on a zero-dimensional manifold. Trust me, addition is a BLAST.

16. Jan 10, 2012 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, this is silly. Anachronistic, I asked you to explain yourself more clearly, you did not do this. Therefore I'm locking the thread.

My apologies to the people who were having fun with this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook