1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogeneous Heat Equation

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I'm trying to solve Evans - PDE 2.5 # 12...

"Write down an explicit formula for a solution of

[tex]u_t - \Delta u + cu=f[/tex] with [tex] (x,t) \in R^n \times (0,\infty)[/tex]
    [tex]u(x,0)=g(x)[/tex]"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I figure if I can a fundamental solution for

[tex]u_t - \Delta u + cu = 0[/tex],

The rest follows through straight forward. I've tried multiplying the solution to the heat equation by a number of terms such as [itex]e^{-ct}[/itex], [itex]e^{v(x,t)}[/itex], but everything I've tried so far either gives me a non-fundamental solution, or a non-linear pde.

I've also tried mimicking the two ways they give to finding the solution to the original equation but neither seem to work. Looking for solutions of the form [itex]u(x,t) = v(x^2/t)[/itex] and looking for solutions of the form [itex]u(x,t) = 1/t^\beta v(x/t^\alpha)[/itex] but neither seems to reduce the equation in the problem to a single variables

Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    yay, figured it out.

letting [itex]u(x,t)=e^{-ct}v(x,t)[/itex], with [itex]v(x,t)[/itex] solving

[tex]v_t - \Delta v = f(x,t) e^{ct}[/tex]
    [tex]v(x,0) = g(x)[/tex]

Solves the original equation. I guess I was just thinking too hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?