Nonhomogeneous Linear Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a particular solution to the equation y''' + 3y'' + 3y' + y = e^(-x) + 1 + x. One person suggests splitting the problem into two halves, y_p1 and y_p2, and finding the solutions for each. They determine that y_p1 = 0 and y_p2 = -2 + x. Another person suggests using variation of parameters instead of undetermined coefficients, and the group agrees that it is a more systematic approach. Ultimately, the particular solution is found to be -2 + x, and the general solution is given as C1e^(-x) + C2(x)e^(-x) + C3
highlander2k5
I was wondering if anyone could check my work on this to make sure I'm doing this right for finding a particular solution to y''' + 3y'' + 3y' + y = e^(-x) + 1 + x. First I split the problem into 2 halfs y_p1 and y_p2.

y_p1 = Ce^(-x)
-Ce^(-x) + 3Ce^(-x) - 3Ce^(-x) + Ce^(-x) = e^(-x)
0*Ce^(-x) = e^(-x)
y_p1 = 0

y_p2 = C1 + (C2)x
0 + 3(0) + 3(C2) + C1 + (C2)x = 1 + x
get like terms together so...
(C2)x = x and 3(C2) + C1 = 1 therefore C2 = 1 and C1 = -2
y_p2 = -2 + x

particular solution = y_p1 + y_p2 = -2 + x
and then the general solution to the problem would be:
C1e^(-x) + c2(x)e^(-x) + C3(x^2)e^(-x)

Physics news on Phys.org
e-x, xe-x and x2e-x are solutions to the homogeneous solution so of course y_p1= e-x gives you nothing. Try y_p1= x3e-x.

If I use (x^3)(e^-x) I get y_p = (1/6)(x^3)e^(-x) - 2 + x does that sound right?

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks... I understand why now.

i find in this situation variation of parameters works better than undetermined coefficients, when you get to having to guess the form of somin like x^3e^-x i just freak out :P

I don't see why you would have to "guess". Obviously, something of the form e-x is called for but e-x, xe-x, and x2e-x are already "taken". x3e-x is obviously "next in line".

ok fair point :P I am lazy though, i freak out in exams and make mistakes, variation of parameters, for me, leaves less room for error as its more methodical

it involves less work in a lot of cases as well

1. What is a nonhomogeneous problem?

A nonhomogeneous problem is a mathematical problem in which the coefficients or boundary conditions vary throughout the problem. This makes it more complex than a homogeneous problem, where the coefficients and boundary conditions are constant.

2. How are nonhomogeneous problems solved?

Nonhomogeneous problems are typically solved using advanced mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or Green's functions. These methods allow for the varying coefficients and boundary conditions to be taken into account during the solution process.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonhomogeneous problems?

Nonhomogeneous problems are commonly used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the heat equation, which is a nonhomogeneous problem, is used to model the flow of heat through a material, while the diffusion equation is used to model the spread of pollutants in the environment.

4. Can nonhomogeneous problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, nonhomogeneous problems can have multiple solutions. This is because the varying coefficients and boundary conditions can result in different solutions depending on the specific values used. In some cases, a nonhomogeneous problem may have an infinite number of solutions.

5. How do nonhomogeneous problems differ from homogeneous problems?

Nonhomogeneous problems differ from homogeneous problems in that they are more complex and require advanced mathematical techniques for their solution. Homogeneous problems have constant coefficients and boundary conditions, making them easier to solve. Nonhomogeneous problems also have more diverse real-world applications compared to homogeneous problems.