1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogenous PDE

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    du/dt=(d^2 u)/dx^2+1
    u(x,0)=f(x)
    du/dx (0,t)=1
    du/dx (L,t)=B
    du/dt=0
    Determine an equilibrium temperature distribution. For what value of B is there a solution?
    2. Relevant equations

Not really sure what to put here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by trying to separate variables, with u(x,t)=phi(x)*g(t), and got to
    g'(t)/g(t)=phi''(x)/phi(x)+1/(phi(x)g(t))=0.
    So g(t) is constant based on the above, but then I get a little lost while trying to solve for phi. I tried letting g(t)=lamda (abbreviated lm from now on), and got

phi''(t)+1/lm=0, which yields a quadratic solution of [(-lm*x^2)/2+x/lm+C/lm] after using the condition du/dx (0,t)=1. Then, since this is phi(x),
    u(x,t)= -lm^2*x^2/2+ x + lm*C.
    Using the other condition du/dx (L,t)=B, and assuming some quick mental algebra was correct,
    B=-lm^2*L+1.
    First off, is all of the above a correct approach as far as you can tell? And secondly, do I need to find u(x,t) or a specific value of lm?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am confused by the question. You say "Determine an equilibrium temperature distribution. For what value of B is there a solution?"

It is very easy to determine the general equilibrium solution. Is the second independent of that or is it asking for a value of B for which there is an equilibrium solution?

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    I found the equilibrium solution easily enough after posting that, I realized I could solve for lm. Another student and I clarified with our professor today, he wants both, which I now have. Thanks though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook