Noninverting voltage amplifier

In summary, the problem is to design a noninverting voltage amplifier with a gain range of 1 to 100, capable of driving a 10k load to +5V at a frequency of 1kHz. Options for varying the gain include using 100k potentiometers for R1 and R2, or using two inverting stages. There may be difficulties in achieving a gain of exactly 1 using a 100k potentiometer, and the choice of opamp may affect the 1kHz requirement. The necessity of R3 depends on the internal construction of the chosen opamp.
losafojjog

Homework Statement

Design a noninverting voltage amplifier which can be varied between 1 and 100 capable of driving a 10 K load to +5V at a frequency of 1KHz.

Homework Equations

1. In order to vary the gain should R1 and R2 be 100k potentiometers? Is there another way?
2. For a gain value to equal 1 (vout/vin = (R2/R1)+1 =1) R2 should be 0. Would using a value of 1k/100k be a close enough approximation? Is there another way to work this out?
3. I don’t know if I understand correctly ‘drive a 10k load to +/-5V’ is my schematic correct?
4. If the VAMPL stays at 0.1V then vout varies with the gain. For example a voltage gain of 100 makes vout +/- 10V and a gain of 2 makes vout +/- .2V is there a way to keep vout consistent at +/-5V regardless of gain or is it implied in the problem that +/-5V is supposed to just fall in the range?
5. Is R3 necessary?

The Attempt at a Solution

please see attached a schematic

Attachments

• opamp.jpg
    opamp.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
losafojjog said:

Homework Statement

Design a noninverting voltage amplifier which can be varied between 1 and 100 capable of driving a 10 K load to +5V at a frequency of 1KHz.

Homework Equations

1. In order to vary the gain should R1 and R2 be 100k potentiometers? Is there another way?
2. For a gain value to equal 1 (vout/vin = (R2/R1)+1 =1) R2 should be 0. Would using a value of 1k/100k be a close enough approximation? Is there another way to work this out?
3. I don’t know if I understand correctly ‘drive a 10k load to +/-5V’ is my schematic correct?
4. If the VAMPL stays at 0.1V then vout varies with the gain. For example a voltage gain of 100 makes vout +/- 10V and a gain of 2 makes vout +/- .2V is there a way to keep vout consistent at +/-5V regardless of gain or is it implied in the problem that +/-5V is supposed to just fall in the range?
5. Is R3 necessary?

The Attempt at a Solution

please see attached a schematic

To get an exact +1 to +100 range of gain, you might want to use two inverting stages. That way you can vary the first gain stage between -1 and -100, and then follow that with a gain stage of -1. At least that way you can use a standard value for your potentiometer (your R2), instead of a "99kOhm" potentiometer. You can turn a 100k pot into a 99k pot with a parallel resistor, but then the pot is not exactly linear anymore.

And yes, when they say "able to drive 5V across 10kOhm at 1kHz, they are mostly referring to the capabilities of the opamp. You show an LM741 opamp, and with rails as wide as +/-15V, that opamp has the output swing to achieve the 5V requirement. But what about that 1kHz requirement for such a large output signal? Where on the LM741 datasheet should you look to see if it can swing a 10Vpp sine wave output at 1kHz? If it cannot, what other opamp parts might you choose instead?

Whether R3 is required depends on the type of opamp you choose. What difference in the internal construction of the opamp would affect whether R3 is needed or not? Why?

Hi, thanks for the response. I think it's ok to go above a gain of 100. The way the problem is stated it sounds like 100 has to just fall in the range. You're referring to the fact that using a 100k pot would yield (R2=100k/R1=1k)+1 = 101 right? It's getting down to a gain of 1 that I'm worried about since you can't really ever get exactly that low you can only approach it right?

I used the opamp from the standard library in OrCad. If it didn't like the 1kHz input, the simulation wouldn't work right? I downloaded a datasheet for it and didn't see anything resembling the input frequency (although I'll admit I'm barely awake after studying all day).

I have no idea about the internal construction of opamps yet. That comes later in the course. From what I can see is depending on the value, R3 just shifts the output sine wave down which seems unnecessary in this case.

Thanks again.

1. What is a noninverting voltage amplifier?

A noninverting voltage amplifier is an electronic circuit that amplifies an input voltage signal without changing its polarity. It is often used in audio and instrumentation applications to increase the voltage level of a signal without inverting it.

2. How does a noninverting voltage amplifier work?

A noninverting voltage amplifier works by using an op-amp (operational amplifier) to amplify the input voltage signal. The op-amp has a high input impedance and a low output impedance, which allows it to amplify the signal without affecting its polarity. The output of the op-amp is then fed back to the input through a feedback resistor, which helps to stabilize the gain of the amplifier.

3. What are the advantages of using a noninverting voltage amplifier?

The main advantage of using a noninverting voltage amplifier is that it provides a high input impedance, which means that it does not draw much current from the source. This makes it suitable for use with sensitive input signals. Additionally, it has a low output impedance, which allows it to drive a load with a high current without losing much voltage. It also has a high gain and low distortion, making it ideal for amplifying weak signals.

4. What are the limitations of a noninverting voltage amplifier?

One of the limitations of a noninverting voltage amplifier is that it requires a dual power supply. This means that it needs both a positive and negative voltage supply to operate. It also has a limited frequency response, which means that it may not be suitable for amplifying signals with high frequencies. Additionally, the gain of the amplifier is dependent on the feedback resistor, which can introduce errors if not selected properly.

5. How can I calculate the gain of a noninverting voltage amplifier?

The gain of a noninverting voltage amplifier can be calculated using the formula A = 1 + (Rf/Rin), where A is the gain, Rf is the feedback resistor, and Rin is the input resistor. For example, if Rf is 10kΩ and Rin is 1kΩ, the gain of the amplifier would be 11. It is important to note that the gain of the amplifier may also be affected by the open-loop gain of the op-amp and the frequency response of the circuit.