Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Dynamical Systems: Book Suggestions

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I'm in a position where I have to teach myself an entire course in Dynamical Systems (mostly nonlinear, though there is a linear component)
    I've got several books, including Strogatz (Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos) and Bauer/Nohel's classic book (A Qualitative Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations).

I'm able to assimilate most of the theory I need from a combination of these books, without the need for detailed explanations from an instructor/TA.

Though, I'm having a lot of difficulty using the theory to solve problems. Each book provides problems at the end of the chapter, and I attempt to solve these problems, but I have no way of checking myself-- or to learn from my mistakes.

So I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good Nonlinear Dynamics book that had a lot of problems and complete worked solutions. Something like one of those calculus study guides filled pretty much with problems and solutions...
    (Something covering a bit of linear sys, nonlinear stability, lyapunouv functions... typical stuff)

Is anyone familiar with anything like this?

Many thanks.
    -H

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted