Nonlinear ODE - dy/dt=F(y(t),x(t))

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the speaker needs to find the maximum change in x(t) as y(t) changes within given bounds. They have tried various methods, including ODE methods and MATLAB, but have not made any progress. Some suggestions for solving the problem include using numerical methods, separation of variables, considering initial conditions, and using a change of variables.
halycos
I'm having issues approaching this problem. I need to solve for

Homework Statement

Given the following equation, I need to find the max change in x(t) as y(t) changes, given bounds [itex]y_{max}[/itex] and [itex]y_{min}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} + a \sqrt(y(t)) = b x(t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

All ODE methods, MATLAB, or any method of solving, but not linearizing the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know an attempt would be nice, but I have looked at this for hours with no progress. I was thinking that it was close enough to use an integrating factor but I can't figure out how to handle integrating

[itex]\frac{1}{-a \sqrt(y(t)) + b x(t) } \frac{dy}{dt} =1 [/itex]

I found some ways to solve equations like this with systems of equations in matlab, but I know nothing else about this system Can anyone offer me any insight or a push in the right direction?

I can seemingly find that [itex]h(0) = ( \frac{b}{a} x(0))^2 [/itex] (given that dh/dt at time 0 is 0), but I'm not sure how this would be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems that you are trying to solve for the maximum change in x(t) as y(t) changes within the given bounds. This type of problem can be solved using various methods, including ODE methods, MATLAB, or other numerical methods.

One approach you can try is to solve the equation numerically using MATLAB. You can use the built-in ODE solvers such as ode45 or ode23 to solve the equation and obtain the values of x(t) and y(t) for different time points. Once you have the values, you can plot them and visually determine the maximum change in x(t) as y(t) changes within the given bounds.

Another approach is to use the method of separation of variables. This involves rewriting the equation in the form of \frac{dy}{dt} = f(y)g(x), and then integrating both sides. This will give you an expression for x(t) in terms of y(t), which you can then use to calculate the maximum change in x(t) as y(t) changes.

I would also suggest considering the initial conditions of the problem, as they can provide valuable information in solving the equation. Additionally, you can try using a change of variables to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

I hope these suggestions will help you in approaching the problem. Good luck!

What is a Nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a variable and its derivatives. Unlike linear ODEs, the relationship between the variable and its derivatives is not directly proportional, making the equation more complex and challenging to solve.

What is dy/dt in a Nonlinear ODE?

dy/dt represents the derivative of the dependent variable y with respect to the independent variable t. In other words, it shows how the value of y changes as t changes. In a nonlinear ODE, the relationship between dy/dt and the variables y and t is not a simple proportion, but rather a more complex function.

What is F in a Nonlinear ODE?

F represents the right-hand side of the ODE, which is a function of both the dependent variable y and the independent variable x. This function is what defines the relationship between the variables and their derivatives in the ODE.

What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear ODE?

The main difference between a linear and nonlinear ODE is in the relationship between the variables and their derivatives. In a linear ODE, this relationship is directly proportional, while in a nonlinear ODE, it is a more complex function. This makes solving a nonlinear ODE more challenging and requires different methods and techniques.

Why are nonlinear ODEs important in science?

Nonlinear ODEs are essential in science because they can model many real-world phenomena that cannot be described by simple linear relationships. These equations are used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, to understand and predict complex systems and their behaviors.