1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear operators

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    Can someone give me an example of a nonlinear operator? My textbooks always proves that some operator is a linear operator, but I don't think I really know what a nonlinear operator looks like.

One of my books defines an operator like [tex]\hat{B} \psi = \psi^2[/tex]. I see that this is a nonlinear operator because:

[tex]\hat{B} (\psi_1 + \psi_2) = (\psi_1 + \psi_2)^2[/tex]

...and this is different from [tex]\psi_1^2 + \psi_2^2[/tex] which you would get by letting the operator B act on each function. But how can you define an operator like this? What would the mathematical form of such an operator be?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An operator that is not linear?? In other words, an operator, A, is nonlinear if and only if there exist some vectors, u and v, and some numbers, a and b, such that A(au+ bv) is NOT equal to aA(u)+ bB(v). That's a perfectly good "mathematical definition". I not sure what you mean by a "mathematical form". What is the "mathematical form" of a linear operator?

Notice that if A(v)= v2[/sub] (assuming a one dimensional vector space for which squaring makes sense) then A(au+ bv)= (au+ bv)2= a2u2+ 2abuv+ b2v2 which is NOT the same as aA(u)+ bA(v)= au2+ bv2.

A two-dimensional example might be A((x,y))= (x2,y2). Then A(a(x,y)+ b(p,q))= A((ax+bp,ay+ bq))= (ax+bp)2, (ay+ bq)2= (a2x2+2abxp+ b2p2,a2y2+ 2abyq+ b2q2) which is not the same as aA(x,y)+ bA(p,q)= a(x2,y2)+ b(p2,q2)= (ax2+ bp2,ay2+ bq2).

Linear problems have the nice property that you can "take them apart", solve the simpler parts, and put those back together to get a solution to the original problem. With "non-linear" problems you can't do that. Essentially, "Linear Algebra" is the study of linear problems and so you very seldom have anything to do with non-linear operators. That is a much harder study!

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

they look like absolutely anything that is not linear. They are just arbitrary functions between spaces. f(x)=ax for some a are the only linear operators from R to R, for example, any other function, such as sin, x^2, log(x) and all the functions you know and love are non-linear operators.

You just did define it.

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4
    Thanks alot for the quick reply! What I meant was, what is the mathematical form of the operator [tex]\hat{B}[/tex] that I introduced? For example, the form of the momentum operator [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] in quamtum mechanics is [tex] - i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/tex], and the form of the laplace operator is:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2}{dy^2} + \frac{d^2}{dz^2}[/tex]

But what is the form of the operator B that I introduced (I believe you called it A)? What would I write instead of the operator?

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

An operator is just a function. In this case, it sends one function to another function. For example, d/dx sends the function x^2 to the function 2x. But any well defined function works as an operator, even if we have not assigned a nice symbol like d/dx to it, and the operator you defined in your first post is perfectly valid.

7. Jul 18, 2006 #6
    Thanks to all of you, I understand it now! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook