1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear simultaneous eqn

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I have more or less convinced myself through trial and error that the following three-dimensional non-linear simultaneous equation cannot be solved. However, it would be great if someone could provide me with a proper mathematical reason as to why this is not solvable, rather than me simply stating I can't do it...

Solve...
    A = x/y
    B = y/z
    C = x/z
    for {x,y,z} in terms of {A,B,C} only

Any help is greatly appreciated,

natski

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    One problem is you have A = x/y, or x = Ay, and C = x/z, or x = Cz. This means Ay = Cz, or y/z = C/A = B (or AB = C, which is all you can really discover, other than the only solution is (0,0,0)).

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Multiplying your first two equations and dividing by the third gives AB/C = 1. If that is not true, there is no solution. If AB/C = 1, there are an infinite number of solutions. Choose any value for z you like, then x = Cz, y = Bz is a solution.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #4
    You can also look at it from a spatial persepctive. The first equation gives a plane passing through the z axis defined by y=Ax. The second gives another plane passing through the x axis defined by y = Bz. The third gives a plane passing through the y axis defined by x = Cz. The intersection of three planes, none of which are parallel, coplanar, etc., is a point. The only solution is the point (0, 0, 0), regardless of what A, B and C are.

Edited: By only solution, I mean the only solution regardless of what A, B and C are. You can have other solutions that depend on what A, B and C are.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. Jul 6, 2011 #5
    Great, thanks for the help is visualizing that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook