1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear System of DEs

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the System of DEs:

[itex]\sqrt{1+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}-\frac{y'^{2}}{\sqrt{1+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}}=C_{1}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{1+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}-\frac{z'^{2}}{\sqrt{1+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}}=C_{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The two equations above are quite relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted basic substitution to do is this:
    Multiply through by the radical
    Cancel terms
    Solve for y' and z' in terms of each other
    Plug them into each other and then attempt to solve

I ended up trying to solve for y' first. What I got is a solvable polynomial in terms of y'; a quite tedious looking polynomial at that. I stopped here and began erasing. Maybe I was doing it right, but I don't even want to see what happens when I plug it into the quadratic equation and then attempt to substitute it back into the z' equation.. It sounds like WAYYY to long of a process considering this is physics homework, not math homework.

Can anybody give me some advice? Any good way to approach problems like these? I'm starting to encounter them a lot and it's always the part of the problem that I spend hours looking at :\

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Create a new variable: [itex]Q^{2}={1+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}[/itex] and carry out the replacement.

This gives you a new system which looks easier - solve for Q and z; then apply the auxiliary equation above so that you can go back to y and z.

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3
    Ok thanks. That was a pretty straightforward step.

This is what I did:
    Plugged Q into the original system.
    Solved the system for y'^2 and z'^2
    Plugged my values for y'^2 and z'^2 into the expression for Q
    Solved for Q

Q again come in the form of a quadratic equation with two solutions. The solutions were both in terms of C1 and C2. At this point I used to following logic to prove that y and z are both linear.

Q is a constant, thus, y' and z' squared are constants, thus, y' and z' are constants, thus, y and z are linear.

Considering that there were two values for Q though, is this the correct way of thinking about it? Do the two Q values basically say that there are two solutions of y and z, both solutions being linear? As long as I can prove the solutions are linear then I've successfully answered the question.

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The substitution generated an additional set of values because Q could be + or -; since your original problem used square root, which implies the + branch, you could just rule out the - by that reason.

Think of the extra solutions as a bonus - you learned something, but you only have to turn in the + half!

BTW this is "multiplication" of solutions is common with the method of substitution - though the method really cuts down the work!

6. Oct 19, 2013 #5
    Thanks, I appreciate the help :)

I'm looking forward to experimenting with these nonlinear systems. It's a shame we never covered them in my ODE class.

7. Oct 19, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nonlinear is an advanced topic; systematic techniques for finding solutions are
    Lacking IIRC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted