1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Vertical Spring

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    Solved the problem.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where do you get that the restoring force is proportional to z³? There is nothing in the problem statement to suggest that the spring is anything but a linear (force proportional to z) spring.

4. Dec 9, 2006 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the force IS given in the question as proportional to z^3, then you can find d by conservation of energy.

The equation of motion for the nonlinear spring is then a form of the Duffing equation, which has been (and still is being) studied in great detail - but AFAIK there is no analytic expression for the period. That suggests to me there is something wrong with the question, or your understanding of it.

5. Dec 9, 2006 #4
    Problem solved, don't need anymore help.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  6. Dec 9, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You can find "d" by energy conservation:
    The potential energy associated to gravity has wholly been converted into spring potential energy at the extremum d.

7. Dec 9, 2006 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At the equlibrium position, the spring is streched a distance b and the tension is mg, so kb^3 = mg.

If we let the PE = 0 at z = 0, the initial energy of the system (KE + PE) = 0.

At displacement z (positive upwards) the PE (gravity + spring) is mgz + kz^4/4

At the extremes of the oscillation the velocity is 0, so the KE = 0, and KE + PE = 0 (conservation of energy from the starting condition), so the PE = 0.

So at the extremes mgd + kd^4/4.
    Sp d = 0 (duh - we knew that already) or d^3 = -4mg/k = -4b^3.

You can write down the equation of motion as total energy = constant, i.e. 1/2 m(z-dot)^2 = -mgz + kz^4/4. But how you solve that to get the period, I dunno. Maybe you can express the solution as an an elliptic function or something since there's something that looks like sqrt(a + bz^3) in there. I dunno if that's a sensible suggestion or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?