Understanding the Relationship between Nonlinearity and Dispersion in Materials

• Thread starter b3824855
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dispersion
In summary, the question is about the relationship between nonlinearity and dispersion and whether a nonlinear material can be nondispersive. The conversation also discusses the difficulty of implementing such a material in a simulator and the role of phase matching in second harmonic generation and optical rectification. The respondent suggests considering Duffing's equation and references Boyd's 'Nonlinear Optics' for more information.
b3824855
Hello All,

My question is "What is the relationship between nonlinearity and dispersion?"

I know that all materials are dispersive in nature, but keeping that aside for a moment and thinking of an ideal material, can I have a nonlinear (2nd order to be exact) material which is nondispersive? (Refractive index does not change with frequency)?

Iv been trying to implement such a material in a simulator, but I am not getting any second order nonlinear interactions such as SHG or OR when I use this material. The same simulation with dispersive materials gives SHG and OR.

Can some one please tell me the reason for this? Thank you very very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you clear as to the difference between dispersive and dissipative?

b3824855 said:
Hello All,

My question is "What is the relationship between nonlinearity and dispersion?"

AFAIK, they are independent from each other. I'm not sure how your simulator works, but second harmonic generation requires phase matching, so that may be why omitting dispersion causes problems. I don't know what OR stands for.

Hi,

@Studiot -> I am referring to a material whose refractive index does not change with frequency. i believe this is called non -dispersive, (i don't think that this has anything to do with dissipative)

@ Andy -> Yes, I thought that the non linearity and the Dispsersion were independent too. Thats why I was baffled with the simulator results.

As you said, Second Harmonic Generation requires phase matching between the individual frequency components ω and 2ω. Which means both these frequencies must travel at the same velocity inside the material. When the refractive index does not change with freq, the velocity of both freq would be c/n inside the material. Where n is the refractive index. So, I had thought that this would be a perfect phase matching scenario! Wouldnt it be? :confused:

What do you think?

Thanks for the replies. Btw, OR stands for Optical Rectification. (its a similar process to SHG, but the generated freq, is not at 2ω. but at 0).

Sorry but my knowledge of optics, whether classic, wave or quantum, is limited.

From what you say you do not want to include a dispersive term (ω is therefore constant) to make your equations non linear.

Another way to make you equation non linear is to introduce a non linear dissipative term.

Therefore I suggest you consider Duffing's equation.

Chapter 7 of

Non linear Ordinary Diffrential Equations by Jordan and Smith

may well cover your needs.

Last edited:
b3824855 said:
Hi,
<snip>
@ Andy -> Yes, I thought that the non linearity and the Dispsersion were independent too. Thats why I was baffled with the simulator results.

As you said, Second Harmonic Generation requires phase matching between the individual frequency components ω and 2ω. Which means both these frequencies must travel at the same velocity inside the material. When the refractive index does not change with freq, the velocity of both freq would be c/n inside the material. Where n is the refractive index. So, I had thought that this would be a perfect phase matching scenario! Wouldnt it be? :confused:

What do you think?

Thanks for the replies. Btw, OR stands for Optical Rectification. (its a similar process to SHG, but the generated freq, is not at 2ω. but at 0).

I don't know how your simulator works, so I can't really comment on why you are getting odd results.

In any case, scanning Boyd's 'Nonlinear Optics', assuming perfect phase matching (which seems to be similar to a dispersionless medium) results in a monotonically increasing second harmonic signal. Optical rectification only requires a single frequency (other than a zero-frequency) and should also behave normally for a dispersion-free medium.

Thanks, I'll have a look in Boyd's nonlinear optics.

1. What is nonlinearity and dispersion?

Nonlinearity and dispersion are two phenomena that describe the behavior of waves or signals in a medium. Nonlinearity refers to the deviation from a linear relationship between the input and output of a system, while dispersion refers to the spreading out of a wave or signal as it travels through a medium.

2. How do nonlinearity and dispersion affect signals?

Nonlinearity and dispersion can both distort and degrade signals. Nonlinearity can cause signal distortion, such as harmonics or intermodulation, while dispersion can cause signal spreading and delay. These effects can impact the quality and reliability of signal transmission.

3. What are the causes of nonlinearity and dispersion?

Nonlinearity can occur due to properties of the medium, such as changes in refractive index or absorption, or due to the interaction between the medium and the signal. Dispersion can be caused by factors such as the medium's material properties, geometry, or external influences like temperature or pressure.

4. How can nonlinearity and dispersion be measured and characterized?

There are various techniques for measuring and characterizing nonlinearity and dispersion, such as the use of specialized instruments like nonlinear optical analyzers or optical time domain reflectometers. These measurements can provide information about the magnitude and frequency dependence of these phenomena.

5. What are some applications of nonlinearity and dispersion?

Nonlinearity and dispersion have both positive and negative impacts on various fields, such as telecommunications, fiber optics, and laser technology. Some applications take advantage of these phenomena, such as in nonlinear optics for signal processing, while others aim to minimize their effects for efficient and reliable signal transmission.