Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlocality and consciousness

1. Dec 23, 2004 #1
    I originally posted this under philosophy and someone suggested I go here though it may be a little speculative for some but here goes.

I don't know how widely accepted in the physics community nonlocality is. From the double-slit experiment and Aspect's results it seems that nonlocality seems to be a true attribute of the world around us. This being the case, if subatomic particles are "nonlocal" then so is my brain and therefore my consciousness (And everyone else for that matter). I have a very general education so the above ideas may be coming from a mind that is believing only what it wants to believe. What is your input on this. Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2
    Macroscopic objects like the brain really do exist in one place. If you dig down into the brain chemistry, at that level, nonlocality is a useful idea. I think all the particles are still pretty well localised within their respective molecules though. I'm not sure about the electric signals in the nervous system but I don't think the electrons go far. Certainly, there is no radiation seeping out of the side of our heads and mingling with other people's brains.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?