1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonnegative Solutions

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the number of nonnegative integer solutions to the equation a+2b+4c=10^30

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of trying to find perhaps some sort of a multinomial generating function, but am not sure how that will help me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    Here are my thoughts:

You can find the total number of solutions by incrementally varying parameters. Since for any solution c will be the least likely to be an integer if you choose arbitrary a and b, varying c and trying to peg possible a's and b's would be the wisest way to proceed. For example:

If c=50, a+2b = 10^30-200. Because once again b is least likely to be an integer if we choose arbitrary a subject to a+2b=10^30-200, b would be the best to vary. Anywhere from b=(10^30-200)/2 to b=0 will have a corresponding a, so there are (10^30-200)/2+1 different solutions for the case c=50. Can you see how this result might generalize to all c?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    So for all c, there would be (10^30-4c)/2+1 corresponding to every possible c value, but that would give an infinite number of solutions wouldn't it?

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4
    If 10^30-4c < 0, do you have any solutions for non-negative b and a? My approach is simply iteratively inspecting the sum and assuming a varying "chunk" of 10^30 is made up of 4c. The answer is definitely finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?