Nonnlinear Differential Equation problem

In summary, Nonlinear Differential Equation problem: I am trying to solve a problem where y'' + Ay^2 = B, where A and B are constants, but I am having trouble with the second order equation. I was told that I could solve it by introducing a new variable z = y^0.5, but I'm not sure how to do that. I also tried the simple separation of variables method but I got stuck there too. Can someone please help me out?
kank_39
Nonlinear Differential Equation problem

Hi all,

I'm new here. I stumbled upon the site while searching for solutions to nonlinear differential solution.

I have a problem that I've been cracking my head to solve for the past 2 days to no avail. I hope you guys can help me out here. I'm looking for a general analytical solution.

Here's the problem:

y'' + Ay^2 = B , where A and B are constants

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sorry, i am tired, i will come back to it later :zzz:.

Good luck

Last edited:
But the problem is in the second order. Can we still use the simple separation of variable method?

this is one of those "standard trick" problems.

introduce a new variable v(x) = dy/dx;
then the equation is

dv/dx + Ay^2 = B

now use the chain rule: dv/dx = (dv/dy) (dy/dx) = v dv/dy

now you have an equation: v dv/dy = B-Ay^2
which is separable. so you integrate it, and
then replace v with dy/dx again and hopefully
solve it from there.

I've already tried that method qbert and i ended up something's that more complicated, which is as follow:

upon resolving:

v dv/dy = B - Ay^2

I got the following expression when i substituted the original expression of v(x) = dy/dx back into the solution:

dy/dx = [2(By-Ay^3/3)]^0.5

I was stuck from then onwards.

All right. I think I've sold the first order differential equation of dy/dx = [2(By-Ay^3/3)]^0.5.

It can be solved by introducing a new variable of z = y^0.5 which will result in the expression:

y = (3B/A)*sin[(B/2)^0.5*x]

Thanks anyway for all the help guys!

edit: don't use the bernoulli, forgot this was a second order equation

use chain rule

[tex] v=y^{'},~\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dv}{dy} [/tex]

[tex]v \frac{dv}{dy} = \frac{d^{2}y}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

[tex]v \frac{dv}{dy} +Ay^{2}=B [/tex]

[tex] v \frac{dv}{dy}=B-Ay^{2} [/tex]

the above is separable

Last edited:
well, seems that you've already got to this point, I'm not quite sure what you (kank_39) were referring to in z=y^.5, can you explain?

kank_39 said:
All right. I think I've sold the first order differential equation of dy/dx = [2(By-Ay^3/3)]^0.5.

It can be solved by introducing a new variable of z = y^0.5 which will result in the expression:

y = (3B/A)*sin[(B/2)^0.5*x]

Thanks anyway for all the help guys!

it would be a better solution if it solved the problem.

kank_39 said:
I've already tried that method qbert and i ended up something's that more complicated, which is as follow:

upon resolving:

v dv/dy = B - Ay^2

I got the following expression when i substituted the original expression of v(x) = dy/dx back into the solution:

dy/dx = [2(By-Ay^3/3)]^0.5

I was stuck from then onwards.

I don't mean to be a jerk. but, you did this step wrong. The constants of
integration can't be dropped if you're looking for the general solution.
When you get done you should have two linearly independent solutions
with appropriate integration constants.

you should end up with
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \pm \sqrt{ 2\left(By - \frac{Ay^3}{3}\right) + c_1 } [/tex]
which is seperable

[tex] \int dx = \int \frac{\pm}{\sqrt{ 2\left(By - \frac{Ay^3}{3}\right) + c_1} } dy + c_2 [/tex]

This integral doesn't have a "nice" solution (unless A, B, and c_1 are "special"),
you can rewrite it in terms of elliptic integrals if that makes you feel better.

GCT said:
well, seems that you've already got to this point, I'm not quite sure what you (kank_39) were referring to in z=y^.5, can you explain?

z = y^0.5 represents z to be equal to the square root of y or y to the power of 0.5. :)

qbert said:
it would be a better solution if it solved the problem.

I don't mean to be a jerk. but, you did this step wrong. The constants of
integration can't be dropped if you're looking for the general solution.
When you get done you should have two linearly independent solutions
with appropriate integration constants.

you should end up with
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \pm \sqrt{ 2\left(By - \frac{Ay^3}{3}\right) + c_1 } [/tex]
which is seperable

[tex] \int dx = \int \frac{\pm}{\sqrt{ 2\left(By - \frac{Ay^3}{3}\right) + c_1} } dy + c_2 [/tex]

This integral doesn't have a "nice" solution (unless A, B, and c_1 are "special"),
you can rewrite it in terms of elliptic integrals if that makes you feel better.

Oh.. sorry, i forgot to mention the initial conditions which is v(y=0) = y(x=0) = 0. That would allow [tex]c_1[/tex] to become zero and the results to be as I've solved it.

However, I'm now trying to solve this:

for the same problem but with a different set of initial condition and I'm trying to understand the concept of elliptic integrals as I've never encountered such a theory before.

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation problem?

A nonlinear differential equation problem is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives. Unlike linear differential equations, which have a linear relationship between the variables, nonlinear differential equations have a nonlinear relationship which makes them more complex to solve.

2. What are some examples of nonlinear differential equations?

Some examples of nonlinear differential equations include the Lotka-Volterra equations, the Navier-Stokes equations, and the Van der Pol equation. These equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model systems that exhibit nonlinear behavior.

3. How are nonlinear differential equations solved?

Nonlinear differential equations can be solved using various methods such as analytical, numerical, and graphical methods. Analytical methods involve finding exact solutions using mathematical techniques. Numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution, while graphical methods involve plotting the solution to visualize its behavior.

4. What are the challenges in solving nonlinear differential equations?

The main challenge in solving nonlinear differential equations is that there is no general method that can be applied to all types of equations. Each equation requires a different approach, and the complexity of the solution increases with the complexity of the equation. Additionally, nonlinear differential equations may have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making it difficult to determine the correct solution.

5. What are the applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, biology, chemistry, economics, and engineering. They are used to model systems that exhibit nonlinear behavior, such as chaotic systems, population dynamics, fluid flow, and chemical reactions. Understanding and solving these equations can help scientists and engineers make predictions and design systems more accurately.