1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonsingular math help

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A is nonsingular, then A can be factored into a product of elementary matrices.
    True or False but justify the reason.

2. Relevant equations
    The issue here is that in class we came to the conclusion false but the book says true. Can someone help me with the correct answer and reasoning? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Nonsingular

What was the reasoning your class used to conclude the statement was false?

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

Because the multiplication of two elementary matrices equals the prodct of two elementary martices and the product may not be one step away from I.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't follow how that leads to the conclusion that a non-singular matrix can't be written as a product of elementary matrices.

I think perhaps you're misinterpreting the statement. It's not saying that A=T1T2, where it's the product of only two elementary matrices. It will generally be the product of more than two elementary matrices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook