How much work is done by a force field along intersecting planes?

• Thread starter tronter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is asking to find the amount of work done by the constant force field dx + 3dy - dz as it moves a particle along the intersection of the planes x+y+z = 1 and x-2y = -2 from where it intersects the y,z plane (x=0) to where it intersects the z,x plane (y=0). The intersection of these two planes is given by x=2t-2, y=t, z=1-3t, and the integral is to be evaluated from t=1 to t=0.
tronter
1. Find the amount of work done by the constant force field [itex] dx + 3dy - dz [/itex] as it moves a particle along the intersection of the planes [itex] x+y+z = 1 [/itex] and [itex] x-2y = -2 [/itex] from where it intersects the [itex] y,z [/itex] plane ([itex] x = 0 [/itex]) to where it intersects the [itex] z,x [/itex] plane ([itex] y = 0 [/itex]).

So the intersection is [tex] z = 0 [/tex] and [tex] z = 3 [/tex]. Then what would I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "the intersection is z= 0 and z= 3" or how you got that! The intersection of two planes is a line, not two points. You are to integrate along that line.

If x+ y+ z= 1, then x= 1- y- zo. If x- 2y= -2, then x= 2y- 2 so we have 2y- 2= 1- y- z.
z= 1- 3y. In other words, the intersection of x+ y+ z= 1 and x- 2y= -2 is given by x= 2t- 2, y= t, z= 1- 3t. That crosses the yz plane when x= 2t- 2= 0 or t= 1. It crosses the xz plane when y= t= 0.

Integrate dx+ 3dy- dz over that line from t= 1 to t= 0.

(I also have no idea why you consider that integral "nonstandard". It's about as "standard" as there is!)

I sure don't know about this little beast like question my friend.

It sure is a cancerous question.
sorry for my bad english

C to the T to the remBath

much love
xxx

What is a nonstandard integral?

A nonstandard integral is a type of integral that involves integrating functions that do not fall under the traditional definition of integrability. This can include functions with discontinuities, infinite limits, or unbounded domains.

What are the differences between a nonstandard integral and a standard integral?

The main difference between a nonstandard integral and a standard integral is the types of functions that can be integrated. Standard integrals can only be used for continuous functions with finite limits, while nonstandard integrals can be used for a wider range of functions.

What are some applications of nonstandard integrals?

Nonstandard integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to calculate probabilities in statistics, solve differential equations in physics, and determine areas under non-standard curves in engineering.

Can nonstandard integrals be solved using traditional integration techniques?

In some cases, nonstandard integrals can be solved using traditional integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. However, for more complex functions, specialized techniques such as contour integration or the method of steepest descent may be required.

What are some challenges in using nonstandard integrals?

One of the main challenges in using nonstandard integrals is determining the appropriate integration technique to use. Additionally, nonstandard integrals may not have closed-form solutions, making numerical methods necessary. It is also important to carefully check the assumptions and limitations of the integration method being used.