What is the Nontrivial Residue Integral for the Function sin(bx)/(e^pi x-1)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{sin(bx)}{e^{\pi x}-1} dx and various methods to solve it. The individual suggests using the residue theorem in a rectangular domain, expanding the sine function into a Taylor series, or using the representation \int_{0}^{\infty}dx (exp(x)-1)^{-1}x^{s-1} = \Gamma (s) \zeta (s). Another method using a geometric series is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing difficulty in finding a simple expression for the integral from 0 to 2i.
rpf_rr
I found this integral in a book ("A course of modern analysis", Whittaker):
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{sin(bx)}{e^{\pi x}-1} dx[/tex]
I tried to use residue theorem in the rectangular domain [0,R]x[0,i], with R-> [tex]\infty[/tex] , but i couldn't do the integral in [0,i]

Physics news on Phys.org
expand the sine function into a Taylor series, and use the representation

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}dx (exp(x)-1)^{-1}x^{s-1} = \Gamma (s) \zeta (s) [/tex]

this should work

Instead of the rectangle with base [0,R], height i, use height 2i (looking at the term in the denominator, you want to move up by a full period, you'll see why). Also, don't bother trying to explicitly find the integral along the upper side.

The integral you are interested in, call it I, is the lower side of the rectangle. Express the integral along the upper side in terms of I. That way, the integral along the two horizontal sides will add to (something)I.

Alternatively, you could just expand it as a geometric series:
[tex] \frac{ \sin bx}{e^{\pi x} - 1} = \frac{ e^{-\pi x} \sin bx}{1- e^{-\pi x}} = e^{-\pi x} \sin bx + e^{-2\pi x} \sin bx + e^{-3\pi x} \sin bx + \cdots [/tex]

Those integrals are simple to do with integration by parts.

yes, you are right, 2i, I wrote wrong, but the problem for me is the integral "from 0 to 2i", i can't find a simple expression, while Mathematica do (only a cotangent and something like 1/p, or similar). The other methods, for me (maybe I'm not too experienced) gives too "complex" results. thanks for the answers however.

What is a nontrivial residue integral?

A nontrivial residue integral is a type of complex integral that is used in complex analysis. It involves integrating a function over a closed contour in the complex plane, and the result is determined by the residues (or singularities) of the function within the contour. Nontrivial residue integrals can be used to evaluate complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

How is a nontrivial residue integral calculated?

To calculate a nontrivial residue integral, you first need to identify the singularities of the function within the contour. These singularities can be poles or branch points. Then, using the Cauchy residue theorem, you can determine the residues of each singularity. Finally, the integral can be evaluated by summing the residues multiplied by their corresponding powers of the variable.

What are some real-world applications of nontrivial residue integrals?

Nontrivial residue integrals have many applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They can also be used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as well as in the calculation of complex probabilities in statistics.

What are the benefits of using nontrivial residue integrals?

One of the main benefits of nontrivial residue integrals is that they allow us to solve complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. They also provide a convenient way to evaluate integrals involving trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and other types of complex functions.

Are there any limitations to using nontrivial residue integrals?

Nontrivial residue integrals can only be applied to functions that have singularities within the contour. If the function has no singularities, then the integral will evaluate to 0. Additionally, the process of determining the residues and evaluating the integral can be complex and time-consuming, making it less practical for certain applications.