A. What is the astronaut's centripetal acceleration during the first 20.0 s?

In summary, astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate the acceleration of a rocket launch by being strapped into a seat 5.60 m from the axis. The centrifuge takes 20.0 s to reach its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.10 s, resulting in a tangential acceleration of 32 m/s^2. At top speed, the astronaut experiences 18.57 g's of acceleration, which is much higher than the 9.80 m/s^2 of acceleration that is equivalent to 1 g.
Aim
Astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate the acceleration of a rocket launch. The centrifuge takes 20.0 s to speed up from rest to its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.10 s. The astronaut is strapped into a seat 5.60 m from the axis.

A. What is the astronaut's tangential acceleration during the first 20.0 s?

B. What is the astronaut's tangential acceleration during the first 20.0 s?

Part A.

I used [tex] a = a_r + a_t[/tex]
To get a i find velocity, which is [tex] v = d/t , a = v/t[/tex]
for [tex]a_r [/tex] i used [tex] a_r = v^2/r[/tex]

Where did I go wrong ?

Part B.

I've no idea how to do this part, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part A + B are the same question.
I don't see how this is non uniform. He's revolving an axis with r = 5.6

Oh he's speeding up. Find the initial and final tangential velocity. If your having trouble with that find the angular acceleration, angular velocity, then multiply them by the radius. The change in velocity over the change in time will be your acceleration.

[tex] v_i = 0, v_f = \frac{1 revolution}{1.1 sec}, \Delta T = 20s[/tex]

For linear velocity:

1 revolution is [tex] 2\pi r = 2\pi 5.6 = 32m[/tex]
[tex] \Delta v = v_f - v_i = 35.2m/1.1s - 0 = 35.2m/1.1s = 32m/s [/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta T} = \frac{32m/sec}{20sec} [/tex]

The calculation for angular is very similar.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion,

Here is part B.
How many g's of acceleration does the astronaut experience when the device is rotating at top speed? Each 9.80 m/s^2 of acceleration is 1 g.

Do I need to find the velocity at top speed and then divide it by 9.8 ?
How do I find the velocity at top speed. ?

I'm not really sure how to solve that problem. Youd want to find the tangential acceleration (there should be none) and divide it by 9.8. Perhaps the centripetal acceleration is what you want.

Your conditions are

[tex] v_{linear} = 5.6(2pi*.9rev/sec) = 32m/s [/tex]

[tex] a_{linear} = dv/dt = 0, a_{cent} = v^2/r = 32^2/5.6 = 182m/s^2 [/tex]

[tex] 182m/s^2 / 9.8m/s^2 = 18.57 g's [/tex] Thats way too many g's.

Last edited:

1. What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is not moving at a constant speed, but rather accelerating or decelerating as it moves along the circular path.

2. What causes nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is caused by a net force acting on an object that is moving along a circular path. This force can be due to a variety of factors, such as friction, gravitational pull, or centripetal force.

3. How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in nonuniform circular motion, the speed varies. Additionally, in nonuniform circular motion, there is a net force acting on the object, whereas in uniform circular motion, there is no net force and the object moves with a constant velocity.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in nonuniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path, allowing it to maintain its circular motion. In nonuniform circular motion, the strength of the centripetal force may vary, causing the object to accelerate or decelerate along the circular path.

5. How is nonuniform circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Nonuniform circular motion can be explained using Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by a net force. The second law explains how the net force causes the object to accelerate or decelerate, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws can help us understand how the net force and centripetal force work together to create nonuniform circular motion.