Nonuniform Semicircle of Charge problem

• Thread starter littlebilly91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem involves a non-uniformly charged semicircle with a charge density that varies according to the angle θ. Using the equation for the electric field, the charge density is derived and substituted into the equation. After integrating from 0 to pi, the electric field is simplified to (5.8*10^-6)/2πεr. The final answer should be positive as it points towards the negative charge.
littlebilly91

Homework Statement

A non-uniformly charged semicircle of radius R=28.0 cm lies in the xy plane, centered at the origin, as shown. The charge density varies as the angle θ (in radians) according to λ = + 5.8 θ, where λ has units of μC/m.
(picture included)
What is the y - component of the electric field at the origin?

Homework Equations

dE=[tex]\frac{dq}{4\pi\epsilon r^{2}}sin\theta[/tex]

where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 8.85*10^{-12}

[tex]\theta r = s[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{q}{s}[/tex]
-------------------------------------------

The Attempt at a Solution

First I derived [tex](5.8*10^{-6})\theta^{2} r=q[/tex]

and took the derivative [tex]2(5.8*10^{-6}) r \theta d\theta=dq[/tex]

substituted into equation 1
dE=[tex]\frac{2(5.8*10^{-6})}{4\pi\epsilon r}\theta sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

Integrated from 0 to pi.
E=[tex]\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{2\pi\epsilon r}\int\theta sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

The whole integral simplifies down to pi,which cancels out and leaves
E=[tex]\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{2\epsilon r}[/tex]

I am getting 1.17*10^{6} N/C for an answer, but it's not correct.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• semicircle.gif
    semicircle.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,313
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First I derived [tex](5.8*10^{-6})\theta^{2} r=q[/tex]

It's supposed to be [tex](5.8*10^{-6}/2)\theta^{2} r=q[/tex]. A less roundabout way of doing this is to note that dq=λ*dL and dL=Rd(theta), so dq=λRd(theta).

ideasrule said:
It's supposed to be [tex](5.8*10^{-6}/2)\theta^{2} r=q[/tex]. A less roundabout way of doing this is to note that dq=λ*dL and dL=Rd(theta), so dq=λRd(theta).

why is that? I'm not seeing where that 2 came from. Does the 2 come in before the derivative because it's only half a circle?

A better question would be how you got [tex](5.8*10^{-6})\theta^{2} r=q[/tex] in the first place. Didn't you use dq/dl=λ, dq=λ*dl=λ*R*dθ?

I used [tex]\theta r = L[/tex] and [tex]\lambda=\frac{q}{L}[/tex] to get [tex]\lambda=\frac{q}{\theta r}[/tex]. I substituted [tex]5.8\theta[/tex] for lambda and rearranged to solve for q. I didn't know how else to take the nonuniform charge into account.

Again, thanks for the help.

Lambda does not equal q/L because the charge density varies across the circle. Try using the method I described: dq=λ*dL and dL=Rd(theta), so dq=λRd(theta).

Okay, I understand why I was wrong before. Is it correct to go from dq=λRd(theta) to dq =5.8(theta)Rd(theta)?

Yup, that's correct.

Integrated from 0 to pi.
E=[tex]
\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{4\pi\epsilon r}\int sin(\theta)d\theta
[/tex]

=>(skipping a few steps) =>
E=[tex]
\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{4\pi\epsilon r}(2)[/tex]
I believe that would be correct.
And it should also be positive because it points towards the negative charge, right?

Yeah, it's positive.

thanks so much for the help!

littlebilly91 said:
Integrated from 0 to pi.
E=[tex]
\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{4\pi\epsilon r}\int sin(\theta)d\theta
[/tex]

=>(skipping a few steps) =>
E=[tex]
\frac{(5.8*10^{-6})}{4\pi\epsilon r}(2)[/tex]
I believe that would be correct.
And it should also be positive because it points towards the negative charge, right?

How did you get rid of the
[tex]
(\theta) from \int (\theta)sin(\theta) to \int sin(\theta)
[\tex]

1. What is a nonuniform semicircle of charge?

A nonuniform semicircle of charge refers to a distribution of electric charge in the shape of a semicircle where the charge is not evenly distributed. This means that the charge density varies across the semicircle, resulting in a nonuniform electric field around it.

2. What is the significance of studying the nonuniform semicircle of charge problem?

Studying the nonuniform semicircle of charge problem is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in nonuniform distributions. This problem can also be applied to real-life scenarios such as the electric field around a curved conductor or a charged half-ring.

3. What factors affect the electric field in a nonuniform semicircle of charge?

The electric field in a nonuniform semicircle of charge is affected by several factors, including the distribution of charge, the radius of the semicircle, and the distance from the center of the semicircle. The shape and size of the semicircle also play a role in determining the strength and direction of the electric field.

4. How is the electric potential calculated in a nonuniform semicircle of charge?

The electric potential in a nonuniform semicircle of charge is calculated by integrating the electric field over the semicircle using the formula V = ∫E·ds. This integral takes into account the varying charge density and distance from the center of the semicircle.

5. Can the nonuniform semicircle of charge problem be solved analytically?

Yes, the nonuniform semicircle of charge problem can be solved analytically using the principles of Gauss's law and integration. However, in some cases, numerical methods may be required to solve the problem accurately.