1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonzero acceleration.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

finding the lowest non zero acceleration in a lab

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the question has asked to find the lowest non zero acceleration, I can't find what nonzero acceleration exactly is. does that mean the acceleration rate is any given number besides 0? if an object is moving in one direction because of the initial velocity and then reverses directions because of a fan and the acceleration rate is -.048 the entire time the object is in motion before it hits a wall, does that mean that is a non zero acceleration rate? or would I need to find the lowest positive acceleration rate of the object when it is just moving in the one direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I expect that it means the smallest non-zero acceleration in terms of magnitude.

The issue of whether an acceleration is positive or negative, merely depends on which direction is chosen as the positive direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook