1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noob question

1. Mar 10, 2006 #1
    How many standard homes using 3,600 kwh of electricty annually could be powered with a constant supply of 10,000,000 volts ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2
  4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    This is not a homework question I am 25 years old :)

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Still, we are not here to provide solutions.

6. Mar 10, 2006 #5
    I'm sorry if I have done anything wrong but I thought this forum was for people to ask questions that they don't know the answer to.

Please correct me if im wrong

7. Mar 10, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea is that you show some of your working or thoughts and we guide you through so you get the solution yourself. We do not provide solutions (unless we think it will help you with the process). Please show us some of yuor working or thoughts and we will help.

8. Mar 10, 2006 #7
    And in any event you posted under "Homework and Coursework Questions." :biggrin:

-Dan

9. Mar 10, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Please don't post general questions in homework & coursework unless you want it to be treated as such.

The problem is that the question is non-sense (which of course means it can't be homework in disguise hehe). It is like saying "How many houses that use 55 gallons of water per minute can I supply with 40,000 PSI of water." Volts is a kind of electrical pressure (although that's not really a good definition) whereas KiloWatt-hours is a kind of equivalency to "gallons" of water. It's impossible to say you can water such and such # of houses with 40,000 PSI using only the # of gallons used by each house because what you really need to know is one of the following; the required pressure for each house given a pressure/house requirement and a total pressure achievement (which means you would only be dealing with pressures and not how many gallons can actually be supplied) or how much a house needs in gallons vs. how many gallons you are capable of producing.

With electricity it's the same thing. You can either provide a certain # of houses with 120V of voltage knowing the starting voltage (say nothing towards how much actual energy you can provide) or the # of houses you can supply with energy given that you can produce x amount of energy per year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?