Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nordic beuty

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    I just thought I'd share few pictures from my hiking trip in Norway. 120km of hiking, over 1500m high mountains and astonishingly beutifull, varying landscapes - ahh!!! My batteries are recharged and I'm all ready to take on a new semester - bring it on! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2
    Thanks for sharing. Absolutely amazing.
  4. Aug 26, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I'm almost about to cry...really beautiful.
  5. Aug 26, 2005 #4
    I want to be there..RIGHT NOW! Love the pic of the boat hull and shale!
  6. Aug 26, 2005 #5
    Really great pictures, Joel. I like the one with the reindeer.
  7. Aug 26, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exquisite, thanks.
  8. Aug 26, 2005 #7
    Fantastic! So glad you posted the pictures because words could not describe.

BTW...Is that Noah's ark? :wink:
  9. Aug 26, 2005 #8
    What a waste of film. You spend how long in scandinavia, name your thread "Nordic Beauty" and you don't include a single picture of a hot babe!?

geeze, some people.
  10. Aug 26, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beautiful!!! Are those reindeer?
  11. Aug 27, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great ones Joel ..... breathtaking .... which part of Norway were you at (does look kind of familiar)? I've only hiked some of the northern parts (going over from Kilpisjarvi and hitting the N 'shore' from there)
  12. Aug 27, 2005 #11
    Great, another place I am now obliged to visit... :smile:
  13. Aug 27, 2005 #12
    I'm very glad you like them. :)

The thing looking like a boat hull is actually a German ww2 time hut. We where quite amazed to find a ceramic watercan with a bullet hole, some rusty explosion charges and then these huts, after five days without a trace of man. (I felt like Indiana Jones!) We suspected they where from the end of ww2, when German troops where driven out from the Finnish parts of Lappland. And we where right, as you can see from this poster that we found later, once we had reached civilization again:

14. Aug 27, 2005 #13
    Very glad you like them, Perenniall! And that is exactly the place! When have you been there and what kind of rout did you take? We started from Kilpisjärvi, wen't past intersection of three nation's boarders (Finland, Sweden, Norway) and headed east, towards a mountain called Barras, which is in the end of a valley (Kanaldalen) that starts from Storfjord (the fjord in the second last picture). After climbing Barras, we headed north, over the highland between Markusfjället Markos and Markos Malla. There we climbed our highest peak (the cloudy and snowy picture) and found the german fortifikations, after which we headed towards Oteren, a small villagein the end of Storfjord. From there we walked up, alongside the Fjord, towards Skibotn and took a day trip (which turned out to become a nighttrip as well) up the hills beside the fjord to take the two last pictures.

Btw. You DO know you opened pandoras box of endless stories, by asking about my trip, don't you? :biggrin:
  15. Aug 27, 2005 #14

How can you say that?! There are two perfectly good pictures of me... :cool:

And come on, we didn't see single person in six days and I had to save my memory card for the Reindeers (yup, those are reindeers). You got to prioritize in life.
    :grumpy: :wink:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?