Nordic Sperm Shortage: US Bans Imports Due to Mad Cow Disease

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the sperm bank had run out of vials from Peterson's donor and could not get more, because of restrictions health officials have instituted to protect Americans against the human form of mad cow disease. Since May 2005, the United States has effectively barred sperm banks from importing from Europe for fear it might spread the brain-ravaging pathogen that causes the affliction. Now, as the remaining vials of Nordic semen frozen in U.S. sperm banks are running out, a small but desperate number of would-be parents are frantic. Peterson has flown repeatedly to Denmark, and is going again this week, to try to get pregnant with sperm from the same donor. Others are going to Canada or Mexico, or haggling
Oberst Villa said:
ooopsie... mixed this up with foot-and-mouth ! Hm... mixing things up...memory getting weak... are these the symptoms ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, they're the symptoms, but I can't remember for what. :confused: :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
PF may be missing out on a cash flow-----it can be in the business of supplying the 'Brain Sperm' shortage

And if the PF sisters started donating, who knows?

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
You'd want a Finn if you were going Scandinavian. They can drive better. :biggrin:

so, when they're done 'supplying'---are they 'Finnished'?

Evo said:
Arildno could make a fortune. He's brilliant, he's Norweedish.

and, for some reason, when I think of a donor with that ancestory, I think of the word 'squeegeed'

Last edited:
In Finland fairly recent legislation forbids anonymous finnish donors. This has caused a very significant drop in the amount of donors and a real Nordic sperm shortage. These days sperm is imported from Denmark and women go there to get treatments.

Do they pay for sperm donation?
I can see a possible way for Iceland to bail (or another four letter word) itself out of bancruptcy.

mgb_phys said:
Hang around York and wait to get ravished by some invading vikings?

I've been trying for two months to come up with a Norwegian Wood joke. I got nothing. :frown:

I've been trying for two months to come up with Norwegian Wood. I got nothing.

tribdog said:
I've been trying for two months to come up with Norwegian Wood. I got nothing.

um.. you're talking about shopping at Ikea, right?

no I'm talking about my flaccid penis.
Now wait a minute, is this something that's going to get me another demerit? I'm balancing on the edge as far as those things go.

tribdog said:
no I'm talking about my flaccid penis.
I think that's the name of a chair in IKEA!

mgb_phys said:
I think that's the name of a chair in IKEA!

:biggrin:
I can almost picture it.
:redface:

I thought it was a bean bag. :confused:

mgb_phys said:
Do they pay for sperm donation?

No. The same law says that it is forbidden to pay to finns for sperm but obviously sperm banks pay for imported stuff. However, it is still cheaper for the donor than finding a recipient in a bar and doing it the old fashion way.

mgb_phys said:
I can see a possible way for Iceland to bail (or another four letter word) itself out of bancruptcy.

Last I heard one sperm can costs around 500€ for the end user. There clearly is a market.

Back