1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nordstrom Gravity

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question: "A theory of gravity devised by physicist G. Nordstrom, relates [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] to [itex]T^{μ\nu}[/itex] by the equation:

[itex]R=κg_{μ\nu}T^{μ\nu}[/itex]

where the metric has the form [itex]g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}[/itex] with [itex]\Phi=\Phi(x^{μ})[/itex] a function of the spacetime coordinates (the special form of the metric follows from requiring the vanishing of the Weyl curvature tensor [itex]_{αβγδ}=0[/itex]

a) Show that in the Newtonian limit [itex]\Phi^{2}<<1[/itex] the geodesic equation for a test body moving slowly in this spacetime reproduces the kinematics of Newtonian gravity.

b) Calculate the ricci scalar R in the Newtonian limit showing that it is just a second order differential operator acting on [itex]\Phi[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

My first question is really just about the metric i need to use. from a couple of things i've read on the internet, it seems i should just use the simple flat-space minkowski metric (ct, x, y, z), but i am not really sure how to calculate the christoffel coefficients in this metric as all [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] must be a function of r (from [itex]\Phi=2GM/r[/itex]). wouldn't that mean that the christoffel coefficients all vanish (ie. [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=0[/itex])??? does this mean i need to use the shwarzschild metric??

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're missing some things, [itex]g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}[/itex] doesn't make sense, since the left-hand side is a tensor and the right-hand side is a scalar. What you want is (referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordström's_theory_of_gravitation#Features_of_Nordstr.C3.B6m.27s_theory)

$$ g_{\mu\nu} = e^{2\Phi} \eta_{\mu\nu},$$

where ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## is indeed the flat Minkowski metric. Since ##\Phi## is a function of the ##x^\mu##, the Christoffel symbols for ##g_{\mu\nu}## will not vanish, but because of the high amount of symmetry, they will have somewhat simple expressions.

It is not the case that [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=0[/itex], rather [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=2e^{2\Phi}(∂_{t}\Phi) [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted