Nordstrom Gravity: Exploring R w/ Minkowski & Schwarzschild Metrics

• Thread starter beans73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses physicist G. Nordstrom's theory of gravity, which relates g_{μ\nu} to T^{μ\nu} through the equation R=κg_{μ\nu}T^{μ\nu}. The metric used in this theory is g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}, with \Phi=\Phi(x^{μ}) being a function of the spacetime coordinates. In the Newtonian limit, the geodesic equation for a test body moving slowly in this spacetime reproduces the kinematics of Newtonian gravity. The ricci scalar R is also calculated in the Newtonian limit and is shown to be a second order differential operator acting on \Phi. The conversation also discusses
beans73

Homework Statement

Question: "A theory of gravity devised by physicist G. Nordstrom, relates [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] to [itex]T^{μ\nu}[/itex] by the equation:

[itex]R=κg_{μ\nu}T^{μ\nu}[/itex]

where the metric has the form [itex]g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}[/itex] with [itex]\Phi=\Phi(x^{μ})[/itex] a function of the spacetime coordinates (the special form of the metric follows from requiring the vanishing of the Weyl curvature tensor [itex]_{αβγδ}=0[/itex]

a) Show that in the Newtonian limit [itex]\Phi^{2}<<1[/itex] the geodesic equation for a test body moving slowly in this spacetime reproduces the kinematics of Newtonian gravity.

b) Calculate the ricci scalar R in the Newtonian limit showing that it is just a second order differential operator acting on [itex]\Phi[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question is really just about the metric i need to use. from a couple of things I've read on the internet, it seems i should just use the simple flat-space minkowski metric (ct, x, y, z), but i am not really sure how to calculate the christoffel coefficients in this metric as all [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] must be a function of r (from [itex]\Phi=2GM/r[/itex]). wouldn't that mean that the christoffel coefficients all vanish (ie. [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=0[/itex])? does this mean i need to use the shwarzschild metric??

Physics news on Phys.org
beans73 said:

Homework Statement

Question: "A theory of gravity devised by physicist G. Nordstrom, relates [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] to [itex]T^{μ\nu}[/itex] by the equation:

[itex]R=κg_{μ\nu}T^{μ\nu}[/itex]

where the metric has the form [itex]g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}[/itex] with [itex]\Phi=\Phi(x^{μ})[/itex] a function of the spacetime coordinates (the special form of the metric follows from requiring the vanishing of the Weyl curvature tensor [itex]_{αβγδ}=0[/itex]

a) Show that in the Newtonian limit [itex]\Phi^{2}<<1[/itex] the geodesic equation for a test body moving slowly in this spacetime reproduces the kinematics of Newtonian gravity.

b) Calculate the ricci scalar R in the Newtonian limit showing that it is just a second order differential operator acting on [itex]\Phi[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question is really just about the metric i need to use. from a couple of things I've read on the internet, it seems i should just use the simple flat-space minkowski metric (ct, x, y, z), but i am not really sure how to calculate the christoffel coefficients in this metric as all [itex]g_{μ\nu}[/itex] must be a function of r (from [itex]\Phi=2GM/r[/itex]). wouldn't that mean that the christoffel coefficients all vanish (ie. [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=0[/itex])? does this mean i need to use the shwarzschild metric??

You're missing some things, [itex]g_{μ\nu}=e^{2\Phi}[/itex] doesn't make sense, since the left-hand side is a tensor and the right-hand side is a scalar. What you want is (referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordström's_theory_of_gravitation#Features_of_Nordstr.C3.B6m.27s_theory)

$$ g_{\mu\nu} = e^{2\Phi} \eta_{\mu\nu},$$

where ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## is indeed the flat Minkowski metric. Since ##\Phi## is a function of the ##x^\mu##, the Christoffel symbols for ##g_{\mu\nu}## will not vanish, but because of the high amount of symmetry, they will have somewhat simple expressions.

It is not the case that [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=0[/itex], rather [itex]∂_{t}g_{xx}=2e^{2\Phi}(∂_{t}\Phi) [/itex].

1. What is Nordstrom gravity?

Nordstrom gravity is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Gunnar Nordstrom in 1913, which suggests that gravity is not a fundamental force but rather an emergent phenomenon arising from the curvature of spacetime.

2. How does Nordstrom gravity differ from Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Nordstrom gravity is based on a different, simpler mathematical framework compared to general relativity. It also predicts slightly different effects, such as the absence of gravitational time dilation and the existence of a repulsive gravitational force.

3. How do Minkowski and Schwarzschild metrics relate to Nordstrom gravity?

Minkowski and Schwarzschild metrics are mathematical representations of spacetime curvature that are used in Nordstrom gravity to explain the effects of gravity. The Minkowski metric is used for flat spacetime, while the Schwarzschild metric describes the spacetime curvature around a massive object.

4. Is there any evidence for Nordstrom gravity?

No, there is currently no experimental evidence to support Nordstrom gravity. It is still considered a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed by any observations or experiments.

5. How does Nordstrom gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

If Nordstrom gravity were to be proven, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It would also have implications for our understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe, as well as the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational environments.