1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norm of a vector

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Ok, so I have no idea how to take the norm of a vector composed of two vectors. I have
    [tex]\vec{q}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{pi}[/tex] - [tex]\vec{pf}[/tex]

we are given:
    |[tex]\vec{pi}[/tex]|=|[tex]\vec{pf}[/tex]|=|[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]|

so i know that
    |[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]| [tex]\neq[/tex] 0, that would be too easy, and it doesn't make sense.

now, is the following right? it just doesn't seem to be

|[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]|=[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*|[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]|

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can try working it out explicitly through the inner product.
    Note that
    [tex]|\vec q|^2 = \vec q \cdot \vec q[/tex]
    so
    [tex](\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) = \ldots? [/tex]

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    ok so that gets me |[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]|=[tex]\sqrt{|\vec{p_{i}^2}|+|\vec{p_{f}^2}|}[/tex],
    would that then be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]p?

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't get you that. Not unless [itex]p_i[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]p_f[/itex], and the problem statement (as you gave it) doesn't say that.

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please stop guessing and work it out properly.

[tex]
    (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) =
    (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_i - (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_f =
    \vec p_i \cdot \vec p_i + \cdots
    [/tex]

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6
    not guessing, just not typing it out entirely. i wrongly assumed pi and pf were orthogonal, but i was trying to make use of the fact that
    |p|=|pi|= |pf|.

i know |q|=[tex]\sqrt{\vec{p_{i}^2} + \vec{p_{f}^2 }-2*\vec{p_i}*\vec{p_f}}[/tex]

but i know |p|=|pi|= |pf|, so |p|[tex]^2[/tex] must equal |p|2=|pi|2 = |pf|2, hence, possibly with faulty reasoning,
    |q|=[tex]\sqrt{2*p^2-2*\vec{p_i}*\vec{p_f}}[/tex]

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are getting closer, it's just not entirely clear to me what
    [itex]2 * \vec p_i * \vec p_f [/itex]
    means. In particular, what do the asterisks mean?

After clearing that up, can you write that expression in terms of p as well?

9. Mar 24, 2009 #8
    apologies, I began to get sloppy, as I'm still trying to get used to Latex, it should be
    |q|=[tex]\sqrt{2 p^2-2 \vec{p_i}\cdot\vec{p_f}}[/tex]. I would not know how to write it out in terms of p, and it might be useless in this case, as we are supposed to plug in a known value for p. [tex]\vec{q}[/tex] was mainly momentum transfer, and we were given that for this case [tex]\vec{q} = \vec{p_i} - \vec{p_f}[/tex]. i already turned in the assignment, just wanted to reach the answer for the sake of learning.

10. Mar 25, 2009 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, at first you will work more slowly when you have to do the math and learn how to write it out in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] - compliments for doing it anyway :)

What I was hinting at was to define [itex]\theta[/itex] as the angle between the ingoing and outgoing momentum, and writing
    [tex]\vec p_i \cdot \vec p_f = |\vec p_i| |\vec p_f| \cos\theta = 2 |\vec p| \cos\theta[/tex].

Then you can take [itex]\sqrt{2}p[/itex] outside the square root, if you want to write it more beautifully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook