Calculating Norm of Prime Ideal p = (3, 1 - √-5)

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the norm of the ideal p = (3, 1 - √-5), which is known to be a prime ideal. The speaker has managed to calculate the norm of the ideal q = (3, 1 + √-5) using two methods: finding a determinant and using a residue ring. However, they are unsure how to apply these methods to the ideal p and are seeking assistance. The speaker also mentions a similar example with the ideal p1 = (2, 1 + √-17) and suggests using a polynomial ring to compute the residue ring.
Firepanda
I need to calculate the norm of the ideal

p = (3, 1 - √-5)

All the information I have is that it's a prime ideal.

I managed to calculate the normal of the ideal q = (3, 1 + √-5) (which was 3) by finding a the determinant of a base change matrix by considering an integral basis

Here I'm not sure how to do that (in the other example I managed to show an equivelence relation so that I could find an integral bases)

Here is a similar example with the ideal p1 = (2, 1 + √-17)

34sflaf.png

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you seem to have been shown two methods: compute a determinant, and compute a residue ring. What difficulty have you had trying to use either method?P.S. when computing the residue ring, I often find it easier to think of your ring as being the quotient of a polynomial ring:

[tex]\begin{align}
\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-17}] / (2, 1 + \sqrt{-17}) &\cong
\left( \mathbb{Z}[x] / (x^2 + 17) \right) / (2, 1 + x)
\\ &\cong \mathbb{Z}[x] / (2, 1+x, x^2 + 17)
\\ &\cong \left(\mathbb{Z}[x] / (2)\right) / (1+x, x^2 + 17)
\\ &\cong \cdots\end{align}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of a prime ideal?

A prime ideal is a subset of a ring (a mathematical structure) that satisfies certain properties such as being closed under multiplication and containing the identity element of the ring. In simpler terms, a prime ideal is a special type of set within a mathematical system that has specific characteristics.

2. How is the norm of a prime ideal calculated?

The norm of a prime ideal is calculated by taking the product of all the elements within the ideal. In the case of p = (3, 1 - √-5), the norm would be calculated as (3)(1 - √-5) = 3 - 3√-5.

3. Why is the norm of a prime ideal important?

The norm of a prime ideal is important because it can help determine certain properties of the ideal, such as its size and whether or not it is a maximal ideal. It is also used in various algebraic and number theory calculations.

4. Can the norm of a prime ideal be negative?

Yes, the norm of a prime ideal can be negative. This is because the norm is calculated by multiplying elements within the ideal, and some of these elements may be negative. In the example p = (3, 1 - √-5), the norm is negative (-3√-5) because √-5 is a complex number with a negative square root.

5. How does the norm of a prime ideal relate to number theory?

The norm of a prime ideal is closely related to number theory, specifically in the study of algebraic number fields. It is used to classify prime ideals and determine the unique factorization of numbers within these fields. The norm also plays a role in understanding the distribution of prime numbers.