Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norm of linear functional

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have been studying "Optimization by Vector Space Methods", written by David Luenberger and I am stuck in an obvious point at first glance. My problem is in page 105, where the norm of a linear functional is expressed in alternative ways. The definition for the norm of a linear functional f is (from now on ||y|| denotes the norm of y and |y| the absolute value of y):
    ||f|| = inf{M: |f(x)| <= M*||x|| for every x in X} where X is the vector space the functional is defined on.

now this definition can be modified and give:
    ||f|| = inf{M: |f(x/||x||)| <= M for every x in X and x not zero} since f is linear which is equivalent to:
    ||f|| = sup(|f(x)|/||x||) for x not zero or
    ||f|| = sup(|f(x)|) for ||x|| = 1

now in the book it states that also:
    ||f|| = sup(|f(x)|) for ||x|| <= 1
    which I can't compehend given the previous definition.

any help is much appreciated,
    zok

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2
  4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi zok! welcome to pf! :smile:
    aren't they the same?

eg if ||x|| = 1, then f(0.5x) = 0.5f(x) since f is linear, so |f(0.5x)| < |f(x)| ?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4
  6. Jun 30, 2011 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that [itex]\big\{|f(x)|\, \big| \,\|x\|=1\big\}\subset \big\{|f(x)|\,\big|\,\|x\|\leq 1\big\}[/itex]. Let's call the first set A and the second set B. We have [itex]A\subset B[/itex]. This means that [itex]\sup A\leq\sup B[/itex]. On the other hand, you can easily show that an arbitrary member of B is smaller than sup A. This means that sup A is an upper bound of B, but sup B is the least upper bound, so [itex]\sup B\leq\sup A[/itex].

(Click the quote button if you want to see how I did the math).

You might also want to check out this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook