Proving Norm of Matrix Inequality for Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality max_{ij}|a_{ij}| ≤ ‖A‖ ≤ √(∑_{ij}|a_{ij})| for a given mxn matrix A. The first part of the conversation presents a proof for the lower bound, while the second part discusses the upper bound and suggests using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.
Gtay

Homework Statement

Let A = [a_{ij}] be a mxn matrix. Show that max[tex]_{ij}[/tex]|a[tex]_{ij}[/tex]| ≤ ‖A‖ ≤ √(∑[tex]_{ij}[/tex]|a[tex]_{ij}[/tex])|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By the definition ‖A‖=max_{||x||≤1}‖A(x)‖ for all x ∈ Rⁿ.So, ‖A‖≥‖A∘(x₁,..,x_{n})[tex]^{T}[/tex]‖ for x = (0,...,1,...0) with 1 is in the i[tex]^{ij}[/tex] position and so ‖A‖ ≥ ‖A∘(x₁,..,x_{n})[tex]^{T}[/tex]‖ = ||(a[tex]_{i1}[/tex],a[tex]_{i2}[/tex],...,a[tex]_{ij}[/tex])|| = √(a[tex]_{i1}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]+...+a[tex]_{in}[/tex]) ≥ max[tex]_{ij}[/tex]|a[tex]_{ij}[/tex]|.
I do not know what how to do the upper bound.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

That's sort of hard to read - do you want to prove that [itex]\| A \|^2 \leq \sum_{ij} |a_{ij}|^2[/itex]?

If so, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality will be very useful.

Thank you for replying!
I will think about this.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of proving the norm of a matrix inequality for homework?

The purpose of proving the norm of a matrix inequality for homework is to demonstrate an understanding of the properties and applications of matrix norms. This exercise can also help develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How do I approach proving the norm of a matrix inequality for homework?

To prove the norm of a matrix inequality, you should first familiarize yourself with the definitions and properties of matrix norms. Then, carefully analyze the given inequality and use mathematical techniques, such as triangle inequality and Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, to manipulate the equation and arrive at the desired result.

3. Can I use any matrix norm to prove the inequality?

No, you cannot use any matrix norm to prove the inequality. The choice of matrix norm depends on the specific problem and the context in which it is being used. In some cases, certain matrix norms may be more suitable or easier to work with than others.

4. Are there any tips for effectively proving the norm of a matrix inequality?

Yes, here are some tips for effectively proving the norm of a matrix inequality:

• Make sure you understand the definitions and properties of matrix norms.
  • Start by simplifying the inequality and working with one side at a time.
  • Use mathematical techniques, such as triangle inequality and Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, to manipulate the equation.
  • Clearly state each step in your proof and explain your reasoning.
  • Double-check your work and make sure your final result is correct.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving the norm of a matrix inequality?

The concept of matrix norms and inequalities has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, matrix norms are used to analyze the stability and performance of control systems. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of quantum systems. In economics, matrix inequalities are used to analyze the stability and equilibrium of economic systems.