Norm on Dual Space: X' - Showing ||x*||=|x_1|+...+|x_n|

In summary, the dual space X' is the set of all bounded linear functionals on X and its norm is defined as ||f||=sup|f(x)|/||x|| for x in X and x not equal to 0, or ||f||=sup|f(x)| for x in X and ||x||=1. To find the corresponding norm on X', we can use the definition of the dual space and its norm to show that ||x*||=|x_1|+...+|x_n|. However, there may be some confusion on how to apply these definitions to the problem.
azdang

Homework Statement

X is the space of ordered n-tuples of real numbers and ||x||=max|[tex]\xi[/tex]j| where x=([tex]\xi[/tex]1,...,[tex]\xi[/tex]n). What is the corresponding norm on the dual space X'?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is that ||x*||=|x_1|+...+|x_n| , but I'm not sure if that's correct or how to show it. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the dual space and its norm?

Well, I know the dual space,X', is the set of all bounded linear functionals on X and the norm on that space is:
||f||=sup|f(x)|/||x|| for x in X and x not equal to 0
or
||f||=sup|f(x)| for x in X and ||x||=1

Hey guys, although Matt advised me to think about the definitions, I'm still confused how to apply them to this problem. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

What is the norm on dual space and how is it related to the norm on the original space?

The norm on dual space, denoted as ||x*||, is a mathematical concept that measures the length or magnitude of a vector in the dual space. It is related to the norm on the original space, denoted as ||x||, through the duality relationship ||x*|| = |x_1|+...+|x_n|, where x* is the dual vector and x_1,...,x_n are the components of the original vector.

Why is it important to consider the norm on dual space in scientific research?

The norm on dual space is important in scientific research because it allows for the analysis of vectors in a space that is complementary to the original space. This can provide insights into the properties and behavior of the original space, and can also be useful in solving optimization problems and characterizing functions.

How is the norm on dual space calculated?

The norm on dual space is calculated using the duality relationship ||x*|| = |x_1|+...+|x_n|. This involves taking the absolute value of each component of the dual vector and summing them together. The result is a single value that represents the magnitude of the vector in the dual space.

What are some real-world applications of the norm on dual space?

The norm on dual space has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. For example, it can be used to analyze electromagnetic fields in physics, to optimize the design of structures in engineering, and to measure the similarity between data points in data analysis.

How does the norm on dual space relate to other mathematical concepts?

The norm on dual space is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as inner products, norms on vector spaces, and duality relationships. It is also related to the concept of dual spaces, where the dual space of a vector space is the set of all linear functionals on that space. Understanding these relationships can provide a deeper understanding of the norm on dual space and its applications.