1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal and Friction Forces

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1
    A 16.2 kg object is pulled along a frictionless horizontal surface by a horizontal net force of 10.2N. What is the normal force acting on the object?

Fn= 16.2*9.8

I am sure do i have to ignore the 10.2N force....
    Thank you for helping
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2008 #2
    Sorry I'm not a physics major rather a struggling student myself, but this was last section for me, so I can try to help perhaps.. I think if you can say that Voy = 0 and Vfy=0 since there is no vertical displacement the normal force must be equal to the weight of the object, therefor: MG = Fn = (16.2)(9.8), unless there is a slope that the object is on affecting the acceleration you should keep the vertical / horizontal components separate.
  4. Jun 15, 2008 #3
    Yes, that's correct.

Since, [tex]F_{n,y}+F_{w,y}+F_{y}[/tex](where F_n is the normal force and F_w is the weight; *y means in the y-component form) and we know that [tex]F_{y}=0[/tex](the y-component of the horizontal force) since the angle [tex]\theta=0[/tex] and [tex]F_{y}=Fsin(\theta)=0 [/tex], then the normal force would just be equal to the weight.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    Well done.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?