Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal and inverse trig functions cancel each other out

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    I'm a bit confused at the moment. All my books say that normal and inverse trig.functions cancel eachother out like this

[tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=x[/tex] and [tex]\arcsin(sin(x))=x[/tex]

But when I try this out on my calculator - TI-89 - it only wants to recognize the first equation as being equal to x. Is that true or...? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a function to have an inverse, it needs to be injective and surjective.
    The problem is that sin(x) is generally not injective, however it is injective on (eg) the interval [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. This interval can be chosen as the domain of sin(x) and becomes the range of arcsin(x), so for x in this interval the second equation will hold as well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  4. Nov 9, 2004 #3
    But since my calculator always accepts sin(arcsin(x)) as being equal to x, does that mean that this equation is always true no matter what? :confused:

5. Nov 10, 2004 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's funky. You cannot take the arcsin of x if [itex]|x|>1[/itex], since such an x wouldn't be in the range of sin(x).
    My calculator gives an error, as it should.
    (Unless you use complex numbers).

6. Nov 10, 2004 #5

krab

Science Advisor

Think it through. Try x=360 degrees. sin(360 deg.)=0, but arcsin(0)=0. So
    arcsin(sin(x)) is not equal to x. OTOH, sin(arcsin(x))=x

7. Nov 10, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another function that does not have a "true" inverse is f(x)= x2 and you might find it easier to look at that function (you can do the calculations yourself rather than use a calculator).

If we restrict the domain to non-negative numbers, THEN we can use f-1(x)= √(x) as the inverse.

√(x) only makes sense when x is positive. For any positive number, if you first take the square root and then square, you get x back again: f(f-1(x))= x.
    In particular, if x= 4, f-1(4)= √(4)= 2 and f(2)= 22= 4 again.

However, f(x) is defined for x positive or negative. If x= 2, f(2)= 22= 4 and then f-1(4)= √(4)= 2. In that case, f-1[\sup](f(x))= x.

But if x= -2, f(-2)= (-2)2= 4 and then f-1(4)= √(4)= 2.
    In that case, f-1(f(x)) is NOT equal to x.

8. Nov 10, 2004 #7
    sin(arcsin(x))=x true while arcsin(sin(x))=x is not true.

9. Nov 10, 2004 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin(arcsin(x))=x does not make sense if |x|>1, since it is undefined.
    It's only true if |x|<=1.

10. Nov 10, 2004 #9
    So how would I go about it to find the solutions for let's say tan(x/2)=0 ?
    I thought I could make it easier by using arctan(tan(x/2))=x/2, but you're telling me that this wouldn't work? What if I decided to look only at a part of tan(x/2) that is increasing or decreasing? Let's say from -pi to pi. Would this work? Because that's the requirement for a trig.function to have an inverse isn't it? Would arctan(tan(x/2))=x/2 be true then?

11. Nov 10, 2004 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tan(x) has the same problem: It isn't injective.
    However, it IS injective if it is restricted to the interval [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]
    Then for x in this interval [itex]\arctan(\tan(x))=x[/itex] holds.
    (Notice that range of arctan(x) is [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex])

If you wish to solve [itex]\tan(x/2)=0[/itex], then using arctan will give you an answer that lies in the interval [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]. (In this case x=0).
    For a complete answer, you need additional info.
    In this case you can use that the tangent is periodic (period [itex]\pi[/itex])
    so that [itex]x/2=k\pi[/itex] where k is an integer will give the general solution).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  12. Nov 10, 2004 #11
    Wouldn't period of tan(x/2) be 2pi? When the interval of tan(x) is restricted to <-pi/2 , pi/2>, the range of arctan(x) is the same. But when the interval of tan(x/2) is <-pi , pi>, but now the range of arctan(x/2) is not the same. Why is this? Shouldn't the range of arctan(x/2) the same as the interval of tan(x/2)?

13. Nov 10, 2004 #12

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the period of tan(x/2) is [itex]2\pi[/itex] (I meant the period of tan(x) in my post).

If [itex]y=\tan(x/2)[/itex]. Then for [itex]x \in (-\pi,\pi)[/itex]:
    [tex]\arctan(y)=x/2[/tex]
    [tex]x=2\arctan(y)[/tex]
    So the inverse function of tan(x/2) is 2arctan(x) and has range [itex](-\pi,\pi)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?