Normal conversation with people, use as less 'I' as possible

In summary, it is best to limit the use of "I" in a conversation to avoid irritation and discomfort among others. Allowing others to talk about themselves can create a more positive and friendly atmosphere. Personal agendas and excessive use of "I" can lead to problems in a conversation.
tgt
From experience, I have found that in a normal conversation with people, use as less 'I' as possible. Because as soon as 'I' is used the other people get irritated and starts using 'I' as well. Hence everyone starts talking about themselves which leads to everyone being uncomfortable.

Do you find this?

Physics news on Phys.org

In my experience people tend to like to speak of themselves (am I doing this myself now?). It just seems to be the way people are. Certain individuals seems to be able to capture others' attentions and get them to listen to them though.

I noticed the same thing. Notice the "I".

There are people that love to talk about themselves, and their experiences. And they will get irritated if you interrupt them with your I's.

But it also gives you a level of control. Let people talk about themselves. Allow them to say the I's and this will make them feel better about themselves around you. Your next meeting will definately be cordial and friendly.

I find human interactions/conversations/relationships very complex :redface:
, I am working hard on them :biggrin:

I am realizing that if you motivate the target to talk about itself, the things will go in your favor.

Otherwise, if you have personal agendas on every single thing, then using 'I' creates big problems.

1. How can I engage in a conversation without using "I" too much?

One way to avoid using "I" too much in a conversation is to focus on asking open-ended questions. This shifts the focus from yourself to the other person and allows them to share their thoughts and experiences.

2. Is using "I" too much in a conversation considered self-centered?

Using "I" frequently in a conversation can come across as self-centered as it puts the focus on yourself rather than the other person. It is important to balance using "I" with actively listening and showing genuine interest in the other person.

3. How can I make a conversation more inclusive without using "I"?

One way to make a conversation more inclusive is to use "we" instead of "I" when talking about shared experiences or ideas. This helps to create a sense of collaboration and inclusivity in the conversation.

4. What are some alternative ways to express my thoughts without using "I"?

Instead of using "I", try using "you" or "we" to express your thoughts and ideas. This allows for a more collaborative and inclusive conversation. Additionally, using descriptive language and specific examples can also help to convey your thoughts without relying on "I".

5. Why is it important to use "I" less in a conversation?

Using "I" less in a conversation can help to create a more balanced and engaging dialogue. It allows for a focus on the other person and their thoughts and experiences, rather than just your own. It also helps to foster a sense of connection and understanding in the conversation.