1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal coordinates and frequencies of four masses connected by springs on a circle

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the system of 4 equal masses connected by identical springs, and constrained to move on a circle, find the normal coordinates and frequencies of the masses.

I'm not looking for the answer, just a push in the right direction as I'm having trouble starting. If someone could explain how this is related to the motion of springs and masses in a straight line system, it would be much appreciated.
    Even a vague idea would be helpful, thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    Re: Normal coordinates and frequencies of four masses connected by springs on a circl

It's not really related to motions of the mass-spring system in 1D. You might want to consider spherical-polar coordinates with the origin at the center of the circular loop, that way the masses are given by a single coordinate: [itex]\theta[/itex].

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Re: Normal coordinates and frequencies of four masses connected by springs on a circl

I should note that you will actually have 4 [itex]\theta[/itex] coordinates, one for each mass. I hope I didn't introduce any confusion on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook